The TaxDome Windows Application
By Mary Cooper
updated 27 days ago
The TaxDome Windows application allows you to upload prepared forms and private client files directly to our system. You can print directly to TaxDome, drag files from your computer, or select whole folders to batch upload.
- Printing to TaxDome From Any Application
- Downloading and Installing the Application
- Launching and Signing in
- Uploading Client Documents
- Uploading Whole Folders
- Bulk Upload: Batch import Documents from other systems to TaxDome
- Right-Clicking to Send to the TaxDome Application
- Dragging-and-Dropping Files From Windows Explorer
- Viewing Your Upload History
- Creating a TaxDome Drive
Printing to TaxDome from Any Application
You can print to TaxDome from any Windows application by using the Print to PDF feature. Select File, go to Print in the application of your choice, select TaxDome as the printer, and then click Print. The TaxDome application will be launched, and the document will be added to it. See Uploading Client Documents below for more on in-app uploading.
Sending a prepared form directly to TaxDome from ProSeries, Lacerte, Drake, Prosystems FX, Proconnect, etc.
You will first need to set up TaxDome as the destination printer.
Example below shows how to do it in Proseries.
1. Go to the File menu and select Print Options.
2. Navigate to the Printer, PDF, and DMS Setup tab on the left, click Change, then select the TaxDome printer.
3. Click OK.
Now you can print your prepared documents to TaxDome.
1. Open the document you have prepared for a client, go to the File menu, then select Print.
2. In the Print This Client section, make sure the Printer checkbox is selected.
3. Click the Print button at the bottom.
Older versions of Drake - Select Alternate Printer
If you are unable to print from Drake, please change the settings to the alternate printer - more info here.
Having troubles with printing feature?
If you're getting errors when trying to print to TaxDome from different Windows apps, try to uninstall the app and then install it again. Open the Start menu, click Settings, then click System on the Settings menu, select Apps & features from the left pane, select TaxDome app, and then click the Uninstall button that appears.
Downloading and Installing the Application
To download the Windows application to your computer,
1. Navigate to Settings, click the Download Windows App link under Download Apps section, then save the application EXE file to the desired folder (see How to Specify Where Files Are Downloaded).
2. Double-click the application to begin the installation. Click Next to continue.
3. This step verifies whether your computer meets the prerequisites for the installation. You may need to download and install the latest version of the .NET Framework first. If this is the case, you will be redirected to the download page.
4. Choose the install location. By default, the application will be installed into
Program Files (x86)\TaxDome folder. Click Browse... if you want to change the location, then find the folder where you’d prefer to install the application. Click Install to begin installing.
5. If the application was successfully installed, you will see the Completing TaxDome Setup dialog box below. Click Finish to exit the installation.
Launching and Signing in
Once the TaxDome Windows app has been installed, you’ll be able to get to it from the Start menu. Select the Start icon, then type “TaxDome.”
To work in the TaxDome Windows application, you’ll need to sign in to your TaxDome account first.
1. Enter your firm’s TaxDome URL, email address, and TaxDome password.
2. Decide how long you would like to stay signed in. The default setting is 8 hours, but you can change your session duration.
3. Click the LOGIN button or press Enter.
Please note: You will not be able to use the TaxDome Windows application until you have registered on TaxDome. You can go to our page on how to create an account with TaxDome if you need any help.
Uploading Client Documents
Uploading documents with the TaxDome Windows app is a straightforward process. And we’ve made it especially convenient when you need to upload a lot of docs from multiple clients at once.
There are several ways to upload documents to the TaxDome Windows application:
By using the NEW button
By using the bulk upload feature
By printing from any application
By Dragging-and-dropping files from Windows Explorer.
To upload a file from the TaxDome Windows app:
1. Click the NEW button, select File Upload, then locate the file(s) on your computer that you would like to upload. See Permitted file types to find out more on file types we allow. With all file types, the maximum upload size is 100 Mb.
2. Wait for the files to uploaded, then select the client name for each from the list. You can use the quick search to find a client by first or last name.
Please note: You will not be able to select the client if the file has not yet uploaded.
3. Select the year for the document. If the client already has the documents for the specific year, it will be available on the list. Otherwise, click the Add Year link and enter the required year, then hit the return key. You can also select Unsorted option if you want to sort the documents later.
4. In the Select File Destination section, choose one of the following from the drop-down menu:
Private: The file will not be visible to the client account. This is where you can safely store tax files and other internal team-only files.
Public: The document will be visible to the client account in the Public section. Documents that are uploaded here can be locked to bills (the document will be visible to the client account but not available for download until the bill has been paid) as well as made to prompt an approval from the client.
Client's Docs: The files will be placed into the Client's Docs section. Documents uploaded to TaxDome by the client account or by you on behalf of a client are stored here.
5. Select the folder where you wish to upload the document. By default, the documents are saved to the main folder for the selected year. Click Change to select another folder. To create a new folder, click the blue folder icon, enter the folder name, then click the green checkmark to the right. Click CHOOSE.
6. Edit the file name (optional).
7. With the Inform client about upload? option, you can decide whether your client should be informed about a file upload to the Public location. By default, the toggle button is on. You can click on it to turn it off if you do not want an automatic email notification to go out to the client account. Note: This option is only for uploads to Public, not to Private or Client's Docs.
8. When uploading to the Public location, you can turn on Lock this document to an unpaid bill to ensure you get paid for the work. When this option is turned on, the document will be visible to the client account but not available to download until the linked bill has been paid. Once paid, the document is automatically unlocked. From the list, select the bill you wish to lock the document to, or click CREATE NEW BILL to create a new one, then сlick CHOOSE.
9. When uploading to the Public location, the client may be requested to let you know if they are satisfied with your work or desire any adjustments. If you would like to use the feature, enable Request client account approval? by clicking it on.
10. Add a text description of up to 150 characters. While this is optional, it is helpful because it will give the client an idea of what the document includes.
11. If you want to upload more files, add the files as described above, then repeat steps 2 through 9. You can also drag-and-drop multiple files from Windows Explorer.
12. Click UPLOAD FILES to add the documents to TaxDome. You will be able to see the uploading progress. Once the files have completed loading, they will be available in the Docs tab of the client's profile.
Uploading Whole Folders
To make things go quick, the TaxDome Windows application lets you upload entire folders containing multiple client account tfiles. To add a folder, click the NEW button, select Folder Upload, then choose the desired folder. Proceed as described above. The result is the same as if you had uploaded each file inside the folder individually but way faster.
Please note the following about uploading folders:
TaxDome processes all files found in your selected folder as well as in all subfolders.
Only permitted files are kept (all other file types are discarded).
You will get to provide details for each file in your folder and subfolders.
Your folder structure is not maintained when using the folder upload function. You will need to create folders on TaxDome to organize your files. Or you can use Bulk Upload to maintain your previous folder structure.
You can’t select several folders at once. If you need to upload files from several different folders, use the UPLOAD FOLDER button again.
Bulk Upload: Batch import Documents from other systems to TaxDome
The Bulk Upload feature comes in handy when you have thousands of old client files in folders on your desktop and/or cloud storage. It helps you transition those files into TaxDome quickly and easily, populating the documents for your team and your clients on TaxDome.
The key features of bulk upload are:
- Files are uploaded to the Private/Unsorted location to make the things simple. You can sort them later at any time.
- Folders on your desktop automatically match the TaxDome account names. Thus, you don't have to select clients manually.
- If there are no accounts that match desktop folders, you can quickly create the new one from the folder name.
- Files are uploaded in the background.
To auto-match the account names, the folder name must be either the account name or client IDs of the account.
To find a client’s ID or account name, go to the Clients section. Client's account name is what you see in the NAME column. It is usually the organization name or the client's first and last name.
The ID is a unique combination of two letters and one number, such as JB1 or AR2.
2. Place each doc you need to upload to the proper client folder. You can create as many subfolders inside a client’s folder as you need. For example, Internal, Client Docs, or Firm Prepared. The maximum upload file size is 100 Mb.
3. Click the burger button on the right, then select Bulk Upload. You can also right-click the TaxDome Win App tray icon and select Bulk Upload.
4. Locate the parent folder you’ve created. The TaxDome Windows application will select the client names automatically. However, you can change any client name. If you have client folders for the users that haven't been added to TaxDome yet, click Create New in the account list to create a TaxDome account for them.
5. Click UPLOAD FILES to add your documents to TaxDome.
You can watch the progress of the upload or minimize it ( it will continue in the background). Once the files have completed loading, you will be able to download a report. Successfully uploaded files will be available in the Docs section of each client’s profile and the folder structure maintained, excluding the parent folder and subfolders named with account names/IDs.
Right-Clicking to Send to TaxDome App
To send documents to the TaxDome application from File Explorer or any other file manager, right-click the file and select Send to TaxDome. Then follow the uploading procedure described in the Uploading Client Documents section above.
Dragging-and-Dropping Files From Windows Explorer
If you need to send multiple documents to the TaxDome application, you can drag-and-drop them from File Explorer or any other file manager. Then follow the uploading procedure described in the Uploading Client Documents section above.
Viewing Your Upload History
Not sure you’ve uploaded all necessary files? You can view your upload history. Click the UPLOAD HISTORY link to see the date, file name, client info, year, and uploading status. Click CLEAR HISTORY to delete the info. This will not lead to the deletion of your files.