TaxDome’s Secure Messages allows you to communicate with your clients in secure chat threads—and keep an open line of communication between you and your team. Set up reminders, attach files, add tasks and more - everything in one place.
- Secure Messages, Explained
- Creating New Messages
- Setting Up Reminders
- Attaching Files to Messages
- Adding Client Tasks to Messages
- What Clients See When You Send Messages
- Responding to Client Messages
- Seeing All Messages—for One Account or Several
- Seeing Which Messages Have Been Received and/or Read
- Archiving and Reopening Message Threads
- Deleting Message Threads
- Linking Messages to Jobs
Secure Messages, Explained
Our Secure Messages feature allows you to create chat threads where you can securely communicate with your clients and team. The threads are neatly organized within each client’s profile, and you’ll always be able to see how many messages remain unread. Once you have what you need from the client, archive the chat so it doesn’t clutter things up. If you need to revisit that chat later, you’ll find it in the Archived section.
About Secure Messages:
- A message thread can be created by you, a team member, or a client.
- Inside a message thread, you can ask questions, request files, or assign tasks to the client.
- The client receives a notification that a question is pending, and they answer directly in the message thread.
- When a client has responded to a message or created one, you get an email and a notification in your Inbox+.
- Both you and the client can attach files to messages.
- When you add tasks for a client, they show up with checkboxes in the form of a convenient to-do list.
- You can track the progress of a client’s tasks on a separate page.
- You can set up automatic reminders for a pending message when a client doesn’t reply.
- All messages and attached files are stored in one place and can be reviewed at any time.
- Once you have all you need from a client in a message thread, archive it.
- To speed things up, send one message to multiple clients using message templates.
Creating New Messages
Note: You can’t send a message to a client who is offline; clients need to have an active TaxDome account, a login, and portal access to use Messages.
There are three different ways to send messages:
- Send One Message to One Client
- Send One Message to Several Clients
- Auto-send Messages to Clients as Automations
Send One Message to One Client
To send a message to a client, click the + NEW button in the left sidebar menu, select Message from the slide-out, then write your text. If you give the message a title (optional), you can still change it later.
That’s it! Click the send icon. The client will automatically receive an email notification about the new message, then you and the client can begin a new thread.
Plus, you can also:
Send One Message to Several Clients
If you need to send the same message to many clients, use our bulk-messaging feature:
Go to Clients from the left sidebar menu, select the checkboxes next to the clients you want to send a message to, click on More actions in the top menu bar, then click Send Message in the pull-down. Select a message template or write a title for the message (optional), add your text, then click the SEND button.
You can add documents and/or tasks to the threads later.
Auto-send Messages to Clients as Automations
By using our Automations feature, you can set up messages to be automatically triggered when a job moves to a new stage in a pipeline. First, you’ll need to create a message template. To learn how, go to Custom Message Templates. Once you have a template, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings from the left sidebar menu, select Pipelines, then click on the pipeline name or the CREATE PIPELINE button.
2. In the Stages section, select the stage you want to add the automation to, click + Add automation on the far right, then select Send Message in the pull-down menu.
3. Select the template for the automation. Decide whether you want to enable the Reminders option; if you do, the client will get a reminder when they don’t respond to the message within a certain time frame. For more details on setting up reminders, see below.
4. Click the SAVE button to keep your changes.
Once a job in the pipeline is moved to the new stage with the Send Message automation, a pop-up with the automation is displayed. If you don’t want an automatic message to be sent, deselect the automation, then click MOVE.
Setting Up Reminders
While creating a message—or while adding a Send Message automation to a stage in a pipeline—enable the Reminders option if you want an email to go out to the client when they don’t respond within a certain time frame.
Here’s how to configure Reminders:
- Inactivity Threshold, Days: Remind the client about a message when they haven’t responded within x amount of days. By default, a reminder goes out to the client three days after the last message in a thread was sent. You can change that number to another you prefer.
- Limit to: Send up to x amount of reminders. By default, one reminder email is sent, but you can change that number to another you prefer.
- The Reminders option can be enabled or disabled at any time by going to the message thread. Reminders are always for the last message in a thread.
At the top of the Reminders section, you’ll see how many reminders about a message went out.
Reminders stop when...
- ...the client has not responded to the message and the set number of reminders has been sent.
- ...the client has responded to the last message in the thread.
- ...you archived the message thread.
- ...you enabled the Reminders option.
Note: If you archive a message thread but then reopen it, the Reminders option is disabled as if the message is new.
Attaching Files to Messages
A firm owner or any team member with access rights to manage documents can attach files to messages. When you create a message or even afterward, you attach files either from your desktop or the Public or Client’s Docs location on TaxDome.
Click the Attach documents link, then select your preference:
- Attaching files from TaxDome: Select From TaxDome, then click the folder and choose the document(s) you want to attach, either from the Public or the Client’s Docs location (you cannot attach files from the Private location).
- Uploading files from your computer: Select From My Computer, then click on the ADD DOCUMENTS button and locate the file(s) you want to upload from your desktop. For more details, go here.
- Uploading folders: Select From My Computer, click on the ADD FOLDER button, then choose the folder. For more details about folders, go here.
- Uploading zip files: Select From My Computer, click on the ADD DOCUMENTS button, then locate the compressed file you want to upload. It will automatically unpack. For more details, go here.
Files uploaded to messages are saved to the Public location.
Adding Client Tasks to Messages
This section was moved. Please see here.
What Clients See When You Send Messages
Clients view and respond to a message you’ve sent by clicking the notification on their dashboard, clicking the link in the email notification, or going to the Messages section of their portal. Client tasks are also displayed inside the notifications.
If you’d like to see TaxDome from the client’s side, access a read-only view of their portal.
Responding to Client Messages
You or the team member(s) assigned to a client will receive a notification in your Inbox+ and email whenever they create a new message thread or reply to an existing one. When a client replies to a thread, the corresponding Inbox+ notification is updated, so you’ll see only one notification per message thread. When there’s a new message in a thread, the notification is updated and moved to the top. If it’s archived, it moves to the To Do items.
To view the most recent message and respond to it, click on the Go to... link.
Note: You can change notification preferences whenever you need to.
You can also view and reply to a client’s messages by going to the Messages tab in their profile. Click on the eye icon to the right of the message.
Here, you can also...
- ...communicate with the client by typing in the message field.
- ...view or download client-uploaded files.
- ...add, view, download, or delete firm-uploaded files.
- ...add, review, or check off client tasks.
When you receive a response to a message from a client whose account includes two or more contacts with login access, you’ll always know who is responding.
- If their email is linked to a contact, their contact name is displayed in the message thread.
- If their email is unlinked, it is displayed in the message thread.
Seeing All Messages—for One Account or Several
To view all messages from one client, go to Clients, select the client, then click the Messages tab in their profile. All messages are stored either under the Active or Archived subtab. There’s also a Client Tasks subtab, where you can see all of the client’s tasks from their message threads. The messages in the Active subtab are ones that require additional information from the client. Messages that haven’t yet been opened are tagged NEW.
The following info is available in the Active and Archived subtabs of the Messages tab:
- TITLE: the message’s name.
- PROGRESS: The first figure shows the number of completed tasks; the second, the total number of tasks in the message thread.
- DATE CREATED: when the message was written.
- CREATOR: the person who created the message.
- LAST RESPONSE: when the last response to the message was written and who wrote it.
By default, the message list will display 25 thread titles per page. However, you can choose to view 50, 100, or 250 at a time. To change the amount, select the number you’d prefer in the Rows per page menu at the bottom left of the page.
To find a message, you can sort the message list by progress, date created, creator, or last response. Click the up-down arrow next to the header of the column you want to sort.
When you’re viewing all your accounts in the Clients section, you can easily find out whether a client has any unread or pending messages. Click the UNREAD or IN PROGRESS tag to jump to the Messages tab of the selected client account.
Seeing Which Messages Have Been Received and/or Read
Gray or blue checkmarks appear next to each message you’ve sent. Here’s what they mean:
- The message was successfully sent.
- The recipient has read your message. If there are several contacts linked to the account, this indicates that at least one person has read the message.
You can also filter your account list to see which clients have open questions or unread messages:
- Go to Clients, then click on the FILTER button.
- In the Messages section, select In Progress, then click APPLY.
You’ll then see a list of all clients with pending or unread messages.
Archiving and Reopening Message Threads
Once you’ve received all of the information you need from a client in a message thread, you can either archive or delete it. This can help remove unnecessary clutter. When you archive a message thread, you still have access to it and can reopen it at anytime. However, a client won’t see their incomplete tasks on their dashboard if you archive the message thread they are in.
There are two ways to archive message threads:
- While viewing the message, click on the ARCHIVE button.
- While viewing the message list, click the three-dots icon, click Archive, then click YES in the Archive Message Thread pop-up.
The resolved message thread is then moved from the Active to the Archived subtab.
If you have archived a message thread but later discover that you need it again, reopen it.
- Go to the Messages tab in the client’s profile, then open the Archived subtab.
- Click on the eye icon to view the message thread.
- Then click the REOPEN button.
Deleting Message Threads
Deleted message threads cannot be restored, unlike archived ones. To remove a message thread completely, follow these steps:
1. Click the three-dots icon to the far right of the thread name, then click Delete.
2. Click the DELETE button in the Delete Confirmation pop-up.
Linking Messages to Jobs
Linking message threads to jobs helps make them immediately available when needed during your work process. Besides, you can use this feature if you want your jobs to be moved through the pipeline automatically.
Messages can be linked to jobs by a firm owner or any team member who is assigned to the client account or has been given access rights to view all accounts.
1. Click on the job’s name to expand the box, click + Link on the top right, then select Messages in the pull-down menu.
2. Choose the message thread. Link any active thread to a job—and as many as you want.
Once messages are linked to a job, you’ll see them in the Messages section of the job box. Click the cross icon to unlink unnecessary messages.