Messages (Basic): Client Tasks
This page applies to TaxDome Pro! pricing plan only. You can upgrade anytime.
For more helpful how-to videos, visit TaxDome Academy, our free online hub for
viewing and learning everything you need to know about TaxDome.
Client tasks are checklists you provide clients with inside your chats.
When you add tasks to a chat, they are conveniently displayed as to-do items with checkboxes. Once all the to-dos are checked off by the client, you get an email notification. Clients conveniently mark their tasks completed from the notification on their dashboard.
- Adding Client Tasks
- Using Client Tasks in Email Notifications to Remind Clients About a To-Do
- How Do I Know Someone Has Updated Their Tasks?
- Tracking Tasks on a Single Page
- What Clients See When You Create a Chat Threads With Tasks
Adding Client Tasks
Tasks can be added to a chat thread at any time, and you’ll be able to track all of the client’s tasks on a single page (see below).
- Once you click the Add task link, a checkbox appears with a field for the task. Fill in the field with the task’s name.
- Click Add task to create more to-dos for the client.
- Once a task is completed, you or the client can check off the box beside it.
You can change the order of tasks or delete items in a client’s to-do list by using the move and trash can icons to their right.
Using Client Tasks in Email Notifications to Remind Clients About a To-Do
Your clients always receive email notifications about new messages. By default, client tasks are not displayed in the email body (the client will need to navigate to their portal to see them). However, if the client task list is not sensitive, you can decide to show it in the email. This setting can be changed by a firm owner or admin.
- Navigate to Settings, select the Firm Settings tab.
- In the System-Generated Emails section, toggle on Include client task list in email notifications about new chat messages.
This is how the email notification will then appear to the client:
Also, if you toggle on Reminders when sending a message with tasks, the client will continue to receive reminders until they respond or check off all the tasks as completed from their dashboard.
How Do I Know Someone Has Updated Their Tasks?
You or the team members assigned to a client receive a notification in your Inbox+ whenever someone makes any changes to a client task. You’ll see whether it was the client or a team member. By expanding the message notification, you’ll also be able to see the current status of the task. Read more about how message notifications work here.
The status of a client’s tasks is displayed in the Messages section of their account profile. Chat threads with completed tasks are highlighted blue; those still in progress are white. When you have the Messages tab open, you’ll see the task updates in all chat threads. When someone makes changes to tasks, the chat list is immediately updated.
Tracking Tasks on a Single Page
Track all of the to-do items for a client on the Client Tasks page. The tasks that refer to one chat thread are grouped together and separated from other threads by a line.
You’ll find the following info in the Client Tasks subtab of the Messages tab:
- TASKS: the task’s name
- SUBJECT: the subject line. Click on it to jump to the thread.
- PROGRESS: The first figure shows the number of completed tasks; the second, the total number of tasks in the chat thread.
- DATE CREATED: when the chat thread was started
- CREATOR: the name of the person who started the chat thread
- LAST RESPONSE: when the last response to the chat thread was written and who wrote it
By default, the client tasks list displays 25 per page. If you want to view more tasks select the number you’d prefer in the Rows per page menu at the bottom left of the page prior to printing.
By default, all tasks assigned to a client are displayed. To view only the completed or incomplete tasks, use the Type quick filter on the left.
To search for a specific task, type a keyword in the search field, then press enter on your keyboard. The task list is then narrowed accordingly.
You can also filter the list to see only chat threads containing completed or incomplete tasks or threads started by a specific team member:
1. Click on the FILTER button.
2. Select one or two filters, then click APPLY.
A narrowed list then appears.
What Clients See When You Create Chat Threads With Tasks
Clients view and respond to a message you’ve sent by clicking the notification on their dashboard, clicking the link in an email notification, or going to the Messages section of their portal. Inside the notification, client tasks are displayed as to-do items with checkboxes.