Invoices: How to Create, Email & Set Up Reminders About Invoices
Send invoices to clients either manually or via pipeline automation. If you have lots to send out, speed up the process by creating templates and using automations!
- Creating & Sending Invoices
- Setting Up Reminders About Invoices
- How Invoice Numbers Are Generated
- How to Set Your First Invoice Number
- How to Add a Tax Rate
- What Clients See When You Create Invoices
- Emailing Invoices
- How to Link and Automove Invoices in Jobs
Creating & Sending Invoices
There are two ways to create and send invoices:
Create & Send an Invoice Once
To create and send an invoice on TaxDome, follow these steps:
1. Click the + NEW button in the left sidebar, select Invoice from the slide-out.
2. Enter the amount of the invoice.
3. Then click Submit to create and send the invoice.
In addition to the amount, there are other details you may want to include on an invoice. Below, we show you everything you can add.
1. Posted At: Enter the date for the invoice. You can issue an invoice for the current date (set as the default), a past date, but not a future date.
2. Sales Tax: If you want sales tax to be applied to the invoice, select the Sales Tax checkbox.
3. Tax Rate: Enter the tax rate. Once sales tax is added, it’s reflected in the total (see the article for details)
4. Invoice number: Enter an invoice number of your choosing. When you leave the field empty, TaxDome automatically generates one for you (see below for details).
5. Team member: Select another team member to receive the payment for the invoice (by default, the person creating the invoice receives it).
6. Choose a payment method: Select the payment method you want the client to use; this option is available only when your default payment processing service is CPACharge. (For more details, go here.)
7. Pay invoice using client credits: Select this checkbox if you want the invoice to be automatically marked as paid. This option is available only when your client has enough credits to pay the invoice.
8. Send email invoice to the client: Select this checkbox if you want the client to be notified by email about an invoice.
9. Description: Add a description outlining what is included in the invoice (optional)
10. Services: Use services to create itemized invoices, so clients know what they’re paying for. Click the Add link, then Add services, and select the services. Once linked, the Services section is displayed, and the Amount field is automatically filled in. You can set the quantity of the services but can't set the invoice amount manually. (For more details, go here.)
11. Jobs: Link your invoice to an existing job to make it immediately available in your workflow when needed. Click the Add link, then Link to Jobs, and select the jobs. Once linked, the Jobs section is displayed. You can see the job title and the pipeline it belongs to (see below for details).
12. Reminders: Select Enable to send an email notification to the client if they don’t pay the invoice within three—or a specified number of—days (see below for details).
13. Submit: Click to send an invoice to a client.
Create a Template & Send Invoices Using Automations
Using TaxDome’s automations, set up invoices to be automatically sent out when jobs move to a certain stage in a pipeline. To send an automated invoice to a client, you’ll first need a template. For more details, go here. Once you have a template, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click on the pipeline name or the CREATE PIPELINE button.
2. Choose the stage you want to link the automation to, click + Add automation, then select Create Invoice in the pull-down.
3. Choose the template for the automation, then select Enable in the Reminders field if you want an additional email to go out to the client when they don’t respond within a certain time frame. Read more about Reminders here.
4. Click Save to keep your changes.
Once a job moves to a stage in a pipeline with a Create Invoice automation, the automation list is displayed. If you don’t want an automatic invoice to be sent, deselect the automation, then click Move.
Setting Up Reminders About Invoices
While creating an invoice or setting up a Create Invoice automation, enable Reminders. When you do, the client will be sent a reminder about the invoice if it has not been paid within a certain time frame; the default number of days is three, but you can change that:
Inactivity Threshold, Days: This is the number of days before an inactive client is sent a reminder. By default, the reminder is sent three days after an invoice is issued, but you can change that to what you prefer.
Limit to: This is the number of reminders TaxDome sends to the client. By default, the client gets only one reminder email, but you can also change this to what you prefer.
Reminders stop when...
- ...the client has not paid the invoice but the set number of reminders have been sent.
- ...the client has paid the invoice.
How Invoice Numbers Are Generated
- If you don’t enter an invoice number when you create an invoice but leave the field empty, a number is automatically generated for you.
- The invoice number will be sent to QuickBooks if you have set up sync.
- You’ll be able to edit the invoice number later, and it will be automatically updated in QuickBooks if you have set up sync.
- Each invoice inside your firm has a unique number; your firm cannot have two or more invoices with the same one.
- When automatically generated, the invoice number is sequential.
- If you manually create invoice numbers,TaxDome uses the next available number to generate a new one.
How to Set Your First Invoice Number
You can set your firm's first invoice number. This could be useful if your firm, say, already has 1,500 invoices in another system, and you don't want to start at 1 because it will throw off QuickBooks sync.
Go to Settings, then Firm Settings. In the Invoice Number Sequencing section, fill in the field, then click Save. Now, TaxDome will start invoice numbering from the specified number.
What Clients See When You Create Invoices
Your client can view and pay invoices by clicking the notification on their dashboard, clicking the link in their email notification, or clicking the link in the Invoices section of their portal.
If you want to see TaxDome from the client’s side, access a read-only view of their portal.
Clients with NOTIFY toggled on receive an invoice notification by email when an invoice is created. If you want to email one or more invoices because payments are overdue or because Notify was toggled off, choose one of these options:
- To email a single invoice: Click the three-dots icon to the right of the invoice, then click Send Invoice by Email.
To email selected invoices: On the Invoices page of the account’s profile, select the checkboxes next to the invoices you want to send, then click Send Email with Selected Invoices.
To email all unpaid invoices: On the Invoices page of the account’s profile, select the top left checkbox, then click the Send Email with Selected Invoices button.
Then follow these steps:
1. Check the invoice information. If several invoices are selected, make sure all of them are there.
2. Type a custom message to the client (optional).
3. The email will be sent out to all email addresses linked to the account that have Notify toggled on. Add other email addresses if needed by clicking ADD ANOTHER EMAIL ADDRESS.
4. Then click Submit to send the invoice.
How to Link and Automove Invoices in Jobs
Linking invoices to jobs helps make them immediately available in your workflow when needed. Plus, you’ll also be able to make jobs automatically move to the next stage in a pipeline when a client pays an invoice.
Invoices can be linked to jobs by a firm owner or any team member who has been given access rights to view invoice history. They are linked either manually or by adding automations. While adding invoices to a pipeline using automations involves a change in the pipeline template, manual linking allows you to track all invoices within a pipeline without modifying the template.
Here's how it works:
1. Access the pipeline settings, add the stage for the invoice pending payment, then toggle on Automove Jobs. You can either add the Create Invoice automation (see how here) or link an unpaid invoice manually (step 2 below). Link as many invoices to jobs as needed.
2. There are three ways to link an invoice manually:
- From the invoice creation/editing screen: Click the Add link, then Link to Jobs, and select the jobs. Once linked, the Jobs section is displayed. You can see the job title and the pipeline it belongs to.
- From the invoices list: Click the three-dots icon to the far right of the invoice, select Link to Jobs, then select the jobs from the list, and click Submit.
- From a pipeline: Make sure that the job is in the right stage, click the job box, click + Link on the top right, select Invoices, then choose the invoices. You can link any invoices previously sent to the client account.
That's it! Once the client pays the invoice, the job is automoved to the next stage. And if you move the job manually, you can always decide what needs to be done with the linked invoice.