Invoices (Basic): Create & Apply Templates
This page is for TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time!
Our templates are used to automate routine procedures and save loads of time. Here, we show you how to create an invoice template proactively or while creating a pipeline so that you can apply it as an automation.
- Creating Invoice Templates
- Sending Invoices to Clients via Automation
- Applying Invoice Templates
- Editing Invoice Templates
- Duplicating Invoice Templates
- Deleting Invoice Templates
Creating Invoice Templates
An invoice template can be created by a firm owner, admin or team member with access rights to manage templates.
To create an invoice template, go to Settings from the left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, then Invoices. Next, click Create Template.
Or access this page by adding the Create invoice automation while making or editing a pipeline, then click New template.
Below, learn more about all the options (1-16) you have in the Create Invoice Template window:
1. Template name: This is what you’ll see when selecting the template.
2. Description: Add a description for what is included in the invoice (optional).
4. Choose a payment method: Select the payment method you want the client to use. (More on selecting a default payment provider.)
5. Send email to client when invoice created: Toggle this on and add a custom message if you want the client to be notified by email about an invoice. Otherwise, they will receive a notification only inside their portal.
- Line item: To add a line item, click the Line item button, then either select a service or create a new one. Fill in the Rate field, set the quantity for the service (QTY), and decide whether each line item is taxable.
- Discount: To add a line item, click the Discount button, then fill in the Rate field. The negative amount will be subtracted from the invoice’s total.
12. Tax: This automatically adds the tax to the invoice. Once the sales tax is added, you’ll see it reflected in the total. (Here's more on tax rates in invoices.)
13. Copy: Click the icon to create a copy of the line item.
14. Summary: This is the section containing the subtotal, tax rate and amount, and the total.
15. Tax rate: Once sales tax is added, it’s reflected in the total (more on default tax rates).
16. Save & Exit, Save and Cancel: Click Save & Exit to save the template and go back to the templates list, Save to keep your changes and continue editing the template or Cancel to exit without saving.
Applying Invoice Templates
Once you’ve created a template, use it to speed up creating invoices. Here’s how:
1. Create a new invoice by clicking the + NEW button and selecting Invoice.
2. Click the Invoice template list to expand it, then select a template.
3. Continue by setting up the invoice. You can now make changes to the amount, tax rate, etc.
Note: Changes you make on an invoice don’t affect the template used to make it.
Editing Invoice Templates
To make changes to an invoice template, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings from the left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, then select Invoices. Next, click on the invoice template name in the list.
2. Make changes to the invoice template, then click Save & Exit.
Duplicating Invoice Templates
To create a new invoice template from an existing one, click the three dots to the far right of the invoice template, then select Duplicate from the pull-down. The invoice template copy will be saved with a suffix (e.g., Form1040 (2)).
Deleting Invoice Templates
To remove an invoice template completely, click the three dots to the far right of the invoice template name, select Delete in the pull-down, then click Delete again to confirm.