Using Automated Actions
By Mary Cooper
updated 3 months ago
Automated actions serve to save time as well as remind you what needs to be done next. You add them so that a task automatically pops up as the next step in the workflow as you move through the various stages of a job.
- What Are Automated Actions?
- Adding an Automated Action
- Keeping Track of To-Do's Within a Pipeline
- Deleting an Automated Action
What Are Automated Actions?
Sometimes a specific step must be taken as the result of completing a particular procedure: When I do x, I must do y. These kinds of follow-ups can be turned into automated actions, so that once a stage of the work is completed, the next order of business is automatically initiated.
Say, you’re preparing a client’s 1040 Tax Return for e-filing on TaxDome. Once the client has moved through the different stages of the tax-preparation process (a pipeline) to the Sign engagement letter stage, your firm will need to prepare an engagement letter for them. You can add this as an automated action, so that the task is generated as a matter of course.
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Create the template for the action type you are going to add:
2. Create a pipeline and add the different stages it will include.
3. Select a stage and add the automated action to it that will serve as its follow-up, then select a template.
4. Save the pipeline.
Once the client has been moved to the stage that requires a follow-up action, you will be able to review and confirm its triggering.
Adding an Automated Action
Before you create automated actions, think about which stages will require specific types of follow-up:
When you have an assignment, write down the different stages of the work process it will involve.
Circle the stages that require follow-up actions.
Define what these will be, so that you can add them as automated actions when you create a new pipeline on TaxDome.
Once you know which automated actions you want to create, your next step will be to add them to your pipeline. You can add actions to stages while creating or editing a pipeline.
To add an action to a stage:
1. Go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click the pipeline name or click on the CREATE PIPELINE button.
2. Select the stage you want to link the action to, click + Add action in the top right corner of the Actions section, then select the action type:
- Create Task. Once a client enters the stage, the task based on a selected template is created.
- Create Organizer. Once a client enters the stage, the organizer based on a selected template is sent to them.
- Send Email. Once a client enters the stage, the email based on a selected template is sent to them.
We plan to add creation of invoice, sending request, etc.
3. Select a template for your automated action. Read more on how to create it:
4. Add as many actions as needed.
5. Repeat steps 1-3 for any other stage.
6. Click the SAVE button to save your changes.
Deleting an Automated Action
You can delete actions while editing a pipeline.
1. Go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click the pipeline name.
2. Select the stage with the action.
3. Click the Delete icon to the right of the action.