By Mary Cooper
updated 9 days ago
Pipelines are where you manage your most valuable asset, your clients. Pipelines are business processes you setup that help manage your flow of clients and always know where clients are in it. Pipelines are fully customizable to your specific firm's needs.
- What Are Pipelines
- Creating a Pipeline
- Adding an Automated Stage Action
- Editing a Pipeline
- Adding a Client to a Pipeline
- Moving a Client Through a Pipeline
- Deleting a Client From a Pipeline
- Managing Pipelines for a Particular Client
- Deleting a Pipeline
What Are Pipelines
A pipeline is a set of stages that a client moves through, as they progress through the documents preparation cycle. Once each pipeline stage is completed, the client is advanced to the next stage. You can associate automated actions to the stages (see below).
Here are some examples of pipelines:
Example 1 - 1040 Return
Stage 1 Review Docs
Stage 2 Prepare Engagement Letter
Stage 3 Prepare Return
Stage 4 Review
Stage 5 E-file
Example 2 - Payroll
Stage 1 Review Docs
Stage 2 Timecard reviews
Stage 3 Initiate Debit
Stage 4 Send Paystubs
Creating a Pipeline
A pipeline can be created by the firm owner or by any team member with access rights granted. Here are the steps:
1. Go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click on the CREATE PIPELINE button.
2. Enter a name for the pipeline.
3. Grant your team members access to the pipeline by selecting the checkboxes next to their names.
4. Enter a stage name, then click Add stage to add an additional stage. Add as many stages as you need.
5. Click SAVE.
Adding an Automated Stage Action
Your pipelines can include automated actions that are linked to stages. Once a client is moved to a stage with automated action attached, the action is triggered (the task is automatically created, etc.). You can add stage actions while creating or editing a pipeline. See details in a separate article.
Editing a Pipeline
A pipeline can be edited by the firm owner or by any team member with access rights granted. Here are the steps:
1. Go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click the pipeline name. You can change a name for the pipeline, select or deselect team members who can access it. You can also make any changes to stages you need:
- To add a stage, click Add stage, then enter a stage name.
- To move a stage, point to a move icon next to its name, then drag-n-drop.
- To delete a stage, click on the red icon next to its name.
- To add an action to a stage.
- To delete a stage action.
2. Click SAVE.
Adding a Client to a Pipeline
Once a pipeline has been created, you can add clients and move them through it.
1. Go to the Workflow section, then select the pipeline at the top. Each pipeline is visualized as a kanban board.
2. Click on Add client, then select a client from the list. A client is automatically added to the first stage.
Moving a Client Through a Pipeline
You can freely move a client to any stage in a pipeline. Hover a mouse to their name, then drag-n-drop.
Deleting a Client From a Pipeline
A client can be deleted from any pipeline stage. Click their name on a board, then click on the red icon.
Managing Pipelines for a Particular Client
You can also explore all of the pipelines for a particular client by navigating to Clients, clicking on the client's name, then going to Workflow. You will see every pipeline for that client as well as its progress. Here you can:
- Move a client through the pipeline: Point to a move icon, then drag-and-drop.
- Delete a client from a pipeline: click on the red icon. Once a client has been deleted, the pipeline is no longer visible in their profile.
Deleting a Pipeline
To delete a pipeline, go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click on the red icon next to the pipeline. Note that this will delete all stages linked to the pipeline.