CRM (Basic): Delete & Archive Accounts
You may want to keep an account to have access to its contents but no longer see it in your account list. Or you may want to delete it altogether. Here, we explain how to do either.
When you no longer need an account but want to keep all its information handy, a great choice is to archive it. Once you do:
- Account disappears from the Active tab of the Accounts list and moves over to the Archived tab, where it still can be edited.
- Contacts linked to the archived account will not have access to the client portal.
- You cannot reset an archived account's password.
Note! When choosing accounts for one-offs (send organizer, email, contract, etc.) or when searching from accounts from the sidebar, you will see both active and archived accounts.
Accounts can be archived by a firm owner, admin, or any employee who has been given access rights to manage accounts.
- To archive accounts, select one or more in the Active tab, click More Actions in the menu bar, then select Archive Accounts from the pull-down.
- You can also navigate to the Info tab of the client account profile, then click on the Archive link to the right from Account details.
If you’ve archived an account but later discover you need it again, you can easily switch it back to being active:
- Select one or more accounts in the Archived tab, click More Actions in the menu bar, then select Active Accounts from the pull-down.
- You can also navigate to the Info tab of the archived client account profile, then click on the Activate link to the right from Account details.
Remember, once you delete an account, you can’t go back: All of the files and data are gone and cannot be recovered.
- Only archived accounts can be deleted.
- Linked contacts are not deleted when accounts are removed. To learn how to delete contacts, go here.
Accounts can be deleted by a firm owner, admin, or any employee who has been given access rights to manage accounts. You can delete one or more accounts at a time from the Accounts list.
- Go to Clients, then to the Archived tab, select the checkbox next to the accounts you want to remove, click More Actions in the menu bar, select Delete from the pull-down, then click Confirm. To select all accounts, select the topmost checkbox.
- You can also navigate to the Info tab of the archived account profile, click on the Edit link to the right of Account Details, then click Delete account and confirm the action by typing DELETE in all caps. Then click the Delete button.