CRM (Basic): Add Client Accounts
This page is for TaxDome Pro users only. If you use TaxDome Lite, please switch to this article.
Add your clients to TaxDome one at a time or in bulk. Clients can also register on their own by going to their TaxDome portal.
- Creating client accounts
- Linking contacts while adding accounts
- Adding portal access to accounts
- How to toggle off your portal sign-up link
- Viewing pending activations and resending invitations
- How do I know when new clients have registered on TaxDome?
Creating Client Accounts
Client accounts can be created in two ways:
Creating client account in TaxDome portal
Follow these steps:
1. Click the + NEW button in your left sidebar, then select Account from the slide-out menu. You can click New on the Accounts page as well.
2. Select the account type, individual or company, then click Continue.
3. On the Contacts tab, either link the existing contact or create a new one: enter the first and last name of the person associated with an account, then add their email.
4. Click Create. And that’s it!
Attention! For first and last names, avoid using special characters that can’t be used in Windows directory names. For example, avoid using punctuation marks or special characters, such as the colon (:), double quote ("), forward slash (/), backslash (\), vertical bar or pipe (|), question mark or asterisk (*). If you do, you won’t be able to access your files via the TaxDome drive.
Below, find out more about the numbered items in the New account window:
Step 1. Account info
Account is an entity you interact with. Select its type and some settings for your new account.
1. Client type: If your client is a firm, select Company. If it's a person or a family, select Individual. The difference is that for Company type, you can fill in the company name and company address.
2. Account name: This name will be displayed on the Clients page. If you leave the field empty, it will be generated from the contact's first name and last name (or from a company name in case of creating a company account).
3. Company name: This field is displayed only when you select Company type. This will be used as the account name by default.
4. Tags: Assign tags to categorize accounts. Here's more about tags.
5. Team members: Give one or more team members access to an account by selecting them from the Team members pull-down list. They’ll then receive a notification. By default, access to an account is given to the user who creates the account and to all employees with default account access.
6. Folder template: Apply a folder template that contains custom folders and subfolders. If you leave this field empty, a predefined folder structure with the Client uploaded documents top-level folder is created. Read more about folder templates.
7. Custom fields: If you have created custom fields for your accounts, they’re displayed here. Here you can learn about adding your own custom CRM fields.
Step 2. Contacts
The actual people (aka clients) who have accounts on TaxDome are always identified by contacts: that is, a first and last name and email address. You need to add at least one contact to your account - either create a new or link the existing one.
1. Link existing contact: If you want to link an account to the contact that has been already added, click this link, start typing the contact name, then click Add. Otherwise, fill out the fields below to add a new contact.
2. Contact info: Entering clients’ personal info ensures that you will have their info at hand, such as phone number or street address. For individuals, the first and last name entered here will be used as the account name by default.
3. Email: A client won’t be able to access their portal unless their contact info includes their email address.
4. Control access to the account for each contact by using the toggles:
- LOGIN: When toggled on, the contact can access the TaxDome client portal to get into the account. You can toggle the LOGIN on, but choose to invite the clients later (see the section on adding portal access below).
- NOTIFY: When toggled on, the contact receives all system notifications (e.g., messages, invoices, organizers, etc.), all emails and bulk emails sent to the account from TaxDome, and all emails sent to the account via pipeline automation.
- SYNC: When toggled on, all emails received from the contact will show in your Inbox+ as well as in the Email tab of the account, and you’ll be able to reply to the contact from TaxDome. All history between your synced email addresses and the contact's email address will automatically populate on TaxDome and can be accessed in the Email tab of the account.
5. Custom fields: If you have created custom fields for your contacts, they’re displayed here. Learn how to add custom CRM fields.
6. Tags: Assign tags to categorize contacts. Here's more about tags.
7. Create: Click the button to create an account on TaxDome.
Adding portal access to accounts
If you turned on the LOGIN toggle for the contact's email while creating the account, you will be prompted to invite them using the client portal.
To add a custom message to the invite, type in the Personal message field, then click Send.
You can also turn on portal access but choose not to send an invitation right away by clicking Skip; this way, you can work on the account—upload documents, add pipelines, create tasks and so on—before the contact visits the portal.
If you didn’t add portal access to accounts while creating them, you can do it at any time:
1. Navigate to the Info tab of the client profile (available once you’ve created an account).
2. If you’ve already linked the account to one or more contacts, you’ll see them in the Contacts section. Turn on the LOGIN toggle next to each contact to whom you want to give portal access.
3. To add a custom message to your invite, type in the Personalized message field in the pop-up, then click Send.
Note! If one contact is linked to several accounts, you will need to give portal access to each of those accounts. They will then be able to switch between accounts once they log in.
Once a client receives an email invitation to their TaxDome portal, they will need to activate the account. The client clicks on the link in the email, then creates a password. You can see which clients have not yet activated their accounts and invite them again by navigating to Clients, then selecting the Pending Activation subtab in the Accounts tab.
How to toggle off your portal sign-up link
How do I know when new clients have registered on TaxDome?