Using Client & Task Tags
By Mary Cooper
updated 26 days ago
Tags help you filter your clients, contacts, task entries, and tasks. Tags usually contain one to three words and are color-coded for quick recognition. They provide details about an item and make it easy to locate related items with the same tag.
- Creating a Tag
- Assigning a Tag to a Client
- Bulk Assigning Tags to Clients
- Assigning a Tag to a Contact
- Assigning a Tag to a Task
- Assigning a Tag to a Time Entry
- Filtering Using Tags
- Deleting a Tag
Creating a Tag
A tag can be created by the firm owner or by any team member with access rights granted. Here are the steps:
1. Go to Settings, then Tags, OR
Go to Clients, open the particular client, go to Info, then to the Tags subtab, then click on Add Tag.
2. Enter the tag name, select a color, then click on Create tag.
Assigning a Tag to a Client
All users with access to the client (such as owner or employee) can assign tags to that client. It can be done either to a specific client or to a group of clients at once.
To assign a tag(s) to a specific client:
1. Go to Clients, open the client’s profile, and go to Info and then the Tags subtab. You will see all available tags in the Assign Tags list.
2. Turn on the toggle next to the tag that you want to assign to the client; each client can have any number of tags.
You can see all assigned tags in your Client List. If a client has more than one tag assigned, only the first one will be visible in the list. Hover your mouse to the bubble icon with a number on it to see another tags.
Bulk Assigning Tags to Clients
When you need to assign a tag to multiple clients, you can use bulk tagging instead of navigating to your clients' profiles one by one. To assign one or multiple tags to multiple clients:
1. Go to Clients, then select the check boxes next to the relevant clients. To select all clients, select the check box at the top of the table.
2. Click on the MANAGE TAGS button.
3. You will be presented with your tags list. For each tag, you can select either:
- Do nothing: The tag will not be assigned to any clients. If a client already has this tag assigned it will remain at its current place.
- Assign to all: The tag will be assigned to all selected clients.
- Remove from all: If any of the selected clients already have this tag assigned it will be removed.
4. Click ASSIGN TAGS.
Assigning a Tag to a Contact
Assigning a Tag to a Task
You can see all assigned tags in your Tasks list and on your dashboard. If a task has more than one tag assigned, only the first one will be visible in the list. Hover your mouse to the bubble icon with a number on it to see another tags.
Assigning a Tag to a Time Entry
You can see assigned tags in your time entries list at Billings under the Time Entries tab.
Filtering Using Tags
Tags are useful when you need to see clients, contacts, or tasks that meet specific criteria. For example, you can quickly find the clients who need Form 1040 or Form 5471 to be prepared for them.
To filter your client list by tags:
1. Go to the Clients, then select Accounts or Clients tab.
2. Click on any tag.
You will see all clients/contacts with this tag applied.
If you want to filter your client list by more than one tag, follow these steps:
1. Click on the Filter button, then select tags.
2. Click APPLY.
The client list will be narrowed in accordance with the specified parameters. Note that if you select two tags, only the clients that have both tags assigned to them will be displayed.
To filter you tasks list by tags:
1. Navigate to the Workflow section, then either go to My Tasks or to Firm Tasks.
2. Click on the Filter button, then select any tags you like.
3. Click APPLY.
Once the filters are applied, the list of tasks will reflect the specified parameters. Click the RESET button to clear all filters.
Deleting a Tag
Tags can be deleted only by the firm owner.
- Go to Settings to the Tags section.
- Click on the cross icon next to the tag's name.
If there are no clients with this tag assigned it will immediately be deleted.
If there are clients with the tag assigned, a notification will be displayed. Click DELETE if you wish to remove the tag anyway.