Using Account & Task Tags
By Mary Cooper
updated 26 days ago
Tags help you filter your client accounts, contacts, task entries, and tasks. Tags usually contain one to three words and are color-coded for quick recognition. They provide details about an item and make it easy to locate related items with the same tag.
- Creating a Tag
- Assigning a Tag to a Client Account
- Bulk Assigning Tags to Client Accounts
- Assigning a Tag to a Contact
- Assigning a Tag to a Task
- Assigning a Tag to a Time Entry
- Filtering Using Tags
- Deleting a Tag
Creating a Tag
A tag can be created by the firm owner or by any team member who has granted the Manage tags permission. Here are the steps:
1. Go to Settings, then Tags, OR
Go to Clients, open the particular client account, go to Info, then to the Tags subtab, then click on ADD TAG.
2. Enter the tag name, select a color, then click on Create tag.
Assigning a Tag to a Client Account
All users with access to the client account (such as owner or employee) can assign tags to that client account. It can be done either to a specific account or to a group of accounts at once.
You can assign a tag to a client account while creating it or later at any time.
To assign a tag(s) to a specific client account that already exists in the system:
1. Go to Clients, open the account’s profile, and go to Info and then the Tags subtab. You will see all available tags in the Assign Tags list.
2. Turn on the toggle next to the tag that you want to assign to the account; each client account can have any number of tags.
You can see all assigned tags in your All Accounts list. If a client has more than one tag assigned, only the first one will be visible in the list. Hover your mouse to the bubble icon with a number on it to see another tags.
Bulk Assigning Tags to Client Accounts
When you need to assign a tag to multiple client accounts, you can use bulk tagging instead of navigating to your accounts' profiles one by one. To assign one or multiple tags to multiple clients:
1. Go to Clients, then select the checkboxes next to the relevant client accounts. To select all clients, select the checkbox at the top of the table.
2. Click on the MANAGE TAGS button.
3. You will be presented with your tags list. For each tag, you can select either:
- Do nothing: The tag will not be assigned to any client accounts. If an account already has this tag assigned it will remain at its current place.
- Assign to all: The tag will be assigned to all selected client accounts.
- Remove from all: If any of the selected client accounts already have this tag assigned it will be removed.
4. Click ASSIGN TAGS.
Assigning a Tag to a Contact
Assigning a Tag to a Task
You can see all assigned tags in your Tasks list and on your dashboard. If a task has more than one tag assigned, only the first one will be visible in the list. Hover your mouse to the bubble icon with a number on it to see another tags.
Assigning a Tag to a Time Entry
You can see assigned tags in your time entries list at Billings under the Time Entries tab.
Filtering Using Tags
Tags are useful when you need to see clients, contacts, or tasks that meet specific criteria. For example, you can quickly find the clients who need Form 1040 or Form 5471 to be prepared for them. Here are your options:
Quick filtering your account list by tags
To filter your account list by a tag:
1. Go to the Clients, then select Accounts or Clients tab.
2. Click on any tag.
You will see all client accounts/contacts with this tag applied.
Filtering account/task list by several tags or no tag
If you want to filter your account or task list by more than one tag, follow these steps:
1. Click on the Filter button, then select tags.
2. Click APPLY.
The list will be narrowed in accordance with the specified parameters.
Please note the following:
- You can see a tag in the TAGS filter only if it is applied at least to the one of the list items.
- If you select two tags, the accounts/tasks that have any of the tags assigned to them will be displayed.
- If you need to find all accounts/tasks with no tags applied, select NO TAG option next to the Tags filter.
Deleting a Tag
Tags can be deleted only by the firm owner.
- Go to Settings to the Tags section.
- Click on the bin icon next to the tag's name. You can see the number of users and tasks this tag is assigned to
If there are no accounts with this tag assigned it will immediately be deleted.
If there are clients with the tag assigned, a notification will be displayed. Click DELETE if you wish to remove the tag anyway.