Services (Basic): Create, Edit, Archive & Delete
This page is for TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time!
For more helpful how-to videos, visit TaxDome Academy, our free online hub for
viewing and learning everything you need to know about TaxDome.
Use our Services feature to itemize your invoices and use specific services in time tracking. You’ll complete transactions faster and get more detailed financial reports. Plus, your clients will always know exactly what they’re paying for.
- Creating Services
- Copying Services From the Library
- Editing Services
- Sorting the Services List
- Archiving Services
- Deleting Services
- Managing Services
Once you create a service, add it to any invoice or time entry. There are several ways to create services on TaxDome:
- Creating Services from the Services Section
- Creating Services while Sending an Invoice
- Creating Services while Adding a Time Entry
- Copying Services from the Library
- Copying Services from QuickBooks
Creating services from the services section
To itemize your invoices (and time entries), create a list of services. Here's how to create a new service:
1. Go to Settings from the left sidebar, choose Services in the menu bar, then click Create Service.
2. Enter the name of the service. This is what you’ll see when selecting it from your list of services, and what the client will see on their invoice.
3. Enter the rate for the service, then select the rate type (optional and visible to clients). Depending on the service, charge per item or per hour. Note that if you want to use your services in time entries, you need to select the per-hour option.
4. Toggle on Tax if you want to apply a default tax rate for the service.
5. Choose a category for the service or click Create Category to add a new one. Categories help filter your Services list when adding them to invoices and time entries.
6. When you’re done in the Create service window, click Create. Now you’re ready to add the service to your invoices and time entries.
Creating services while sending an invoice
You can also create a service while you’re creating an invoice, either a one-time or recurring one. Here's how:
- In the Create invoice window, click + Line item, then enter the details of the work provided.
- Click the three dots to the right of the line item, then click Save as new service.
- Check the name and the rate. You have the option to charge per item or per hour; clients see the rate type.
- Toggle on Tax if you want to apply the default tax rate to the service
- Choose a category for the service or click Create Category to add a new one. Categories help filter the Services list when adding them to invoices and time entries.
- When you’re done in the Create service window, click Create. The service is then available in your Services section, and you can add it to your invoices and time entries.
Creating services while adding a time entry
Services can be created along with a time entry, in four steps:
- From the Track your time page, click on the Service field to open a drop-down menu.
- Click the + Create service button in the drop-down.
- Fill out the Create service page. For details, go to the section above.
- Click Create. You will be redirected to the Track your time page to proceed with the time entry.
Copying services from the library
We’ve turned all the most common services into templates, which you’ll find in our library. Here, you’ll find ready-to-use services for weekly payroll, tax planning, auditing, personal and corporate tax returns, Schedule C—and more.
Go to Settings from the left sidebar, select Services and click Copy from Library. Find the template you need, then click the Copy button to the far right of the service’s name.
If you need to edit an existing service, such as change a price, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings from the left sidebar, select Services in the menu bar, click the three dots to the far right of the service, then select Edit.
2. Make your changes, then click Back. Changes are automatically saved.
Sorting the services list
By default, services are sorted by name. However, you can also sort them by category, rate or rate type. Click the up-down arrow to the right of the column header to sort the list beneath it.
If a service is no longer needed, archive it rather than delete it. You may need to refer back to it when you’re reporting. Archived services are edited the same way as active ones, but they’re no longer visible in your templates and filters—and they cannot be linked to invoices or time entries.
Go to Services, click the three dots to the right of the service you want to archive, click Archive, then confirm. The service is moved from the Active to the Archived tab.
If you’ve archived a service but need it again: Open the Archived tab, click on the three dots to the right of the service, select Restore, then confirm.
Note: You’ll need to add the restored service to your invoice templates again.
Though we recommend archiving services rather than deleting them, you can permanently remove them. Click the three dots to the far right of the service name, select Delete, then confirm by clicking Delete again.
A firm owner, admin or team member who has access rights to manage services can create, edit and delete them. To give a team member access rights to manage services:
1. Go to Settings, select Team & Plans in the menu bar, navigate to Active Team Members, then click on the team member’s name in the list.
2. Click Edit Access Rights then toggle on Manage services.
3. Click Save. Now the team member will be able to manage services.
Copying services from QuickBooks
This section moved here.
Adding services to invoices
This section moved here.
Syncing services to QuickBooks
This section moved here.