Tasks (Basic): View, Filter, Edit
This page is for TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time!
TaxDome features a unique and easy-to-use Insights page that displays all of the tasks in progress at your firm. Learn how to filter and edit them for your team—and more.
- About tasks
- The task list
- Filtering a task list
- Viewing client accounts with overdue tasks
- Editing tasks
- Bulk-editing tasks
- The task audit trail
- Using task comments
- Printing a task list
- Exporting tasks
- Deleting tasks
Once a task is created, it’s on your Insights page. If you select All members in the Tasks: to do widget, you’ll see a list of client accounts and tasks for each one. This way, you’re always aware of what clients need and how the work is progressing:
When a task is almost due or a new task has been assigned to you, you get a notification in your Inbox+ and email. Click on the task name or on Go to... to get to it.
Note: you can change your notification preferences at any time.
When you have pending assigned tasks, a green notification circle appears next to Workflow in the left sidebar menu. To see your tasks, go to Workflow, then open the Tasks tab.
By default, only your assigned tasks are displayed. To see all tasks for your firm, click on the My Tasks drop-down in the top left and select All Tasks.
To see the tasks that haven’t yet been assigned, select Unassigned.
Tasks that need work or are scheduled as future to-do items are displayed in the Pending tab.
Once a task is done or canceled, click on its status and change it to Completed or Canceled, accordingly. Once the status of the task has been changed, it moves to the Completed tab.
Note: Completed and canceled tasks can still be edited. Move the task back to the Pending tab by changing its status to Planned, In review, In Progress, On hold, Extended, Waiting for client, Waiting for signatures or Waiting for agency.
To see all the tasks for a client, go to Clients, click on the client’s name, then go to Workflow. Go to Pending Tasks and Completed Tasks to see all tasks for that account—as well as their statuses, assigned tags, progress, start dates, due dates and whether they’ve been assigned to you or another team member.
You can also view all tasks on the Calendar page. Click Tasks to switch to a task-only view. Here's more on calendar views.
The task list
In the task list, you’ll see these icons:
This means the task is recurring.
This means the task is overdue—the due date has passed and the status hasn’t yet been changed to Completed or Canceled.
You’ll also see these column headers:
ACCOUNT: Click on the account name to instantly access its details.
TASK NAME: This is the name you or a team member have given the task.
DUE DATE: This is the deadline for the task to be completed.
STATUS: Tasks can be assigned Planned, In review, In Progress, On hold, Extended, Waiting for Signatures, Waiting for Client or Waiting for agency, or no status at all. To change the status of a task without editing it, hover your mouse over this column to display the statuses, then select the one you need.
SUBTASKS: The first figure is the number of completed subtasks; the second is the total number of subtasks.
ASSIGNEE(S): This tells you who is assigned to the task.
PRIORITY: Tasks have a Low, High, Medium or Urgent priority. Tags help you prioritize the tasks. To change the priority of a task without editing the task, hover your mouse over the column to display priority levels, then select the one you need.
JOB NAME: This is the name of the job to which the task is linked. Click on the job to view its details and make changes, if needed.
- DESCRIPTION: Writing a description is optional and may be useful.
- PIPELINE: If a task is linked to a job, you’ll see what pipeline it’s in. Click on the pipeline name to go to the pipeline.
- STAGE: If a task is linked to a job, you’ll see what stage it’s in. Click the name of the stage to navigate to the pipeline.
- TAGS: Colorful tags can be added to tasks so that you can filter later.
If you open the Completed subtab, you will also see two more column headers on the far right:
- COMPLETED DATE: This is the date the status of the task was changed to Completed.
- CANCELED DATE: This is the date the status of the task was changed to Canceled.
To search for tasks, type a keyword in the search field.
Use sorting to find certain tasks—and you can do it while filtering and searching, too.
To sort a list of tasks in the Task Name or Due Date column, click the up-down arrow next to the column header.
Filtering a task list
Filters are useful when you want to view tasks by type. For example, filter to find all overdue tasks. There are different ways to filter tasks:
- By assignee: See only the tasks assigned to certain person. To see only unassigned tasks, select Unassigned in the drop-down on the left.
By account: See only the tasks belonging to specific accounts.
By pipelines and stages: See only the tasks in specific pipelines. Select a stage or stages from different pipelines to narrow the results even more.
By start date: See only the tasks that have a start date within a specified time frame.
By due date: See only the tasks that have a due date within a specified time frame.
By tags: See only the tasks with specific tags.
By overdue status: See only the overdue tasks (the due date has expired and the status hasn’t yet been changed to Completed or Canceled).
By priority: See only the tasks with a specific priority level (Low, High, Medium or Urgent).
By status: See only the tasks with a specific status (Planned, In review, In Progress, On hold, Extended, Waiting for Signatures, Waiting for Client or Waiting for agency) or no status at all.
To narrow down a list of tasks:
1. Go to the Workflow section, then to Tasks.
2. Click Filter in the top righthand corner, select one or more filters, then click Apply. Here is more on using filters.
Viewing client accounts with overdue tasks
Filter your client account list so that it shows only the clients with overdue tasks:
Go to Clients, then click Filter in the top righthand corner.
In the Tasks section, select Overdue, then click Apply.
You’ll now see a list with all clients that have overdue and incomplete tasks, and exactly how many such tasks remain for each account.
Edit a task to change its status or account, check off subtasks, or rewrite the description. Tasks can be edited one at a time or in bulk.
There are five ways to edit a task:
- Click on the task name on the dashboard
- Click on the linked task from the job card or from the Link Tasks page
- Click on the task name from the Calendar page
- Select the task name in your Tasks list, then click Edit
Change the assignee, start date, due date, priority or status in the Task list
Note: When you change the account of a task linked to a job, it automatically unlinks.
To make changes to several tasks:
1. Select the task names in a Tasks list, then click Edit.
2. Make your changes, then click SAVE.
When bulk-editing tasks, keep in mind:
- You cannot attach or remove files
- You cannot edit subtasks
- You cannot edit, delete or add comments
- The data in all unchanged fields remains the same
Edit a task on its own if you need to do any of the above.
Task audit trail
You may need to review the history of a task—that is, see all the events that have taken place pertaining to that task.
TaxDome’s audit log lets you track when someone performed any of the following actions on a task:
- Changed the assignee
- Changed the name
- Changed the description
- Added or deleted subtasks
- Changed the priority
- Changed the status
- Set or changed the start date
- Set or changed the due date
- Assigned or changed tags
To view a task’s history, click on the three dots to the far right of the task name in the Tasks list, then click Audit Trail, or click the Audit Trail link inside the task itself.
Using task comments
While working, you might come across information you need for a specific task. Jot it down inside the task comments. This way, team members assigned to the task will see it.
To add a comment to a task:
1. Click on the task name or the three dots to its far right, then select Edit.
2. In the Comments section, click Add comment, click on the text field, then type the note.
3. Click SAVE to keep your changes. The comment—along with the date and name of the team member who wrote it—is then saved inside the task. When the comment is no longer needed, click the trash icon to the right of it to delete it.
Printing a task list
To print a task list, click the print icon in the top righthand corner.
By default, a task list displays 25 items per page. If you want to print more, select how many you want to print in the Rows per page menu on the bottom left.
Your browser will prompt you to print the list, which will include the current date and time.
To remove a task completely, follow these steps:
Click the three dots to the far right of the task name, then click Delete.
Click DELETE in the Delete Confirmation pop-up.