Tasks can come in handy for designating duties, keeping your work on the track, and ensuring that your team stays focused. With tasks, it’s very easy to monitor who's doing what and what needs to be done next.
Here's what is covered in this section:
- Creating Tasks
- Creating a Recurring Task
- Managing Tasks
- How to See Which Clients Have Overdue Tasks Related to Them
- Exploring the Client’s Tasks
- Exploring All Tasks
- Exploring Pending and Completed Tasks
- Searching Tasks
- Editing Tasks
- Changing Task Status
- Deleting Tasks
Creating a task in TaxDome is simple. Tasks can be created either by the firm owner or by team members.
- Click the +NEW button on the Sidebar, select Task, then select the client from the list. You can see the five most recent clients here. If there is no client you are searching for among them, start typing their name, ID or email. You can also change the client’s name right in the task creation window.
2. Select the names of the team members to whom you want to assign a task. You can select several people if needed. When you assign someone to a task, the task is automatically shared with that person.
3. Enter the task name (i.e. subject).
4. Set the task status to Planned or In progress. Statuses help you keep track of your tasks. Once the task is completed the performer will be able to change the status to Completed.
5. Set the start and due dates of a task. It’s OK if you don't want to set exact dates for your task right now. Setting the dates is optional; however, it greatly helps with your team’s time management. In addition, you will get a reminder email two days before the due date.
6. Add tags to your task. They are intended to help categorize your tasks and to sort out unnecessary information. All tags created earlier are available for use here.
7. Enter the task description (optional) to explain the task further.
8. Click Create Task.
Creating a Recurring Task
Recurring tasks are ones that repeat at regular intervals. You may find these useful, for instance, when you need a reminder to make a weekly phone call to a client, check the regular mail once every three days, or prepare tax forms for certain clients annually.
Setting up a recurring task is no different from creating a regular one, except that you turn on the Repeat option. Once you do, you will be able to make a task schedule.
1. Select how often you want the task to repeat. By default, a task is repeated once a week. It can be repeated every x amount of days, weeks, months, years.
2. Decide when you want a task to expire. You can select a specific date or the number of times you wish it to recur.
Once a recurring task is set, you will see its start date and due date as well as the number of recurring tasks in your queue.
You will also be able to identify which tasks will recur by the clock icon next to their names in the TASK NAME list.
Once the task is created it is displayed on your Dashboard. You can see all of the tasks associated with your clients no matter who is responsible for the task. Thus, you are always aware of each client’s case progress.
How to See Which Clients Have Overdue Tasks Related to Them
You can easily filter your client list to see which clients have overdue tasks. To do so:
- Go to Clients, then click the Filter button
- Select Overdue in the Tasks section, then click Apply filter.
You will see the list of all clients with overdue tasks.
Exploring the Client’s Tasks
You can also explore all of the tasks associated with a selected client by navigating to Clients, clicking on the name of the client, and going to Tasks. Here you can see all of the tasks associated with this client (both assigned to you and to your team members).
Exploring All Tasks
If you have any assigned tasks you will see the notification next to Tasks on the sidebar. Browse to Tasks to explore all tasks. You have two tabs here:
- My tasks – all your tasks for all of the clients you’re working on are displayed here. I.e. here you can see all of the tasks that currently need your attention.
- Firm Tasks – all tasks for all of the clients you and your team are working on are displayed here. I.e. here you can see all the tasks that are assigned to all team members working on your clients along with you.
In the task list, you’ll find the following information:
- Task name – The task title provided during the creation.
- Client – The client for whom the task was created. You can click on the client’s name to instantly access their details. If you’re viewing the tasks on the client’s details page this column is not displayed.
- Assignee(s) – The team member name to whom the task is assigned.
- Description – A brief description outlining the contents of the tasks (if a description was added when the task was created).
- Status – Tasks can either be planned, in progress, completed, or have no status.
- Start date – The date that the task should be started.
- Due date – The date the task should be completed. If the due date has come and the task is not yet marked as completed the exclamation point notification is displayed next to it.
Exploring Pending and Completed Tasks
All tasks you’re working on or that are scheduled for the future are displayed on the Pending subtab.
Once the task is completed, you can easily change its status to Completed. Simply click Status list, and select Completed.
Once the status is changed to Completed, the task is automatically moved to the Completed subtab. Notifications on completed tasks are not shown on the sidebar.
Note that completed tasks can be edited as well. You always can bring the task back to the Pending subtab by changing its status to Planned or In progress.
To search for tasks, type the keyword in the Search field. The task list will be narrowed in accordance with the specified parameters. You can search by task name or description.
To make changes to the task:
- Click on the task name on the dashboard, OR
- Click on ellipsis icon in any tasks list, then click Edit.
Changing Task Status
It's very easy to change status without editing a task. Simply hover your mouse to the status to display all statuses, then select the right one.
To remove a task from the system,
- Click the ellipsis icon, then click Delete
- Click the Yes, delete button on the Task Delete Confirmation pop-up which appears.