Keeping track of your to-do list is crucial to the success of any tax practice. The Task feature helps you to keep your work on track, designate duties to team members, and ensure that everyone, including you, stays focused. It allows you to see who’s doing what and what’s next on your daily to-do list.
- Creating a Task
- Creating a Subtask (or Things to Do)
- Creating a Recurring Task
- Adding Files
- Changing a Client's Name During Creating a Task
Creating a Task
A task can be created either by you or any team member. Follow these steps:
1. Click the +NEW button on the left sidebar, select Task in the pull-down menu, then select the client from the list. You’ll see a list of your five most recent clients. If the client you are looking for doesn’t appear, enter their name, ID, or email address in the search field.
Please note: If the task you’re creating is for a different client than the one you originally chose, you can always specify another in the Create Task window that follows (See how).
2. Once you’ve selected the client, the Create Task screen is displayed. Choose the name of the team member you want to assign the task to. You can also select several if the project requires more than one team member. When you assign a task, it is automatically shared with the team member or members.
3. Enter the name of the task (e.g. Prepare 1040) in the required field.
4. Set the task priority: LOW, HIGH, MEDIUM, or URGENT. The default priority is MEDIUM.
5. Set the task status to PLANNED or IN PROGRESS. Statuses help you keep track of what stage a task is in. Once the task is completed, you or the team member responsible can change the status to COMPLETED.
6. Enter the task description (optional) to define it.
7. Add tags to your task. These help categorize your tasks and sort out unnecessary information. You can use here all tags created in the system.
8. Set a start and due date for the task. It’s fine to also skip this. Setting dates is optional but can act as a helpful time-management tool for both you and your team. Plus, you’ll receive a reminder email two days before the task’s due date.
9. Click CREATE TASK button.
Creating a Subtask (or Things to Do)
Each task can have subtasks. Think of these as to-do items on a checklist, which need to be performed in order for the overall task to be completed. You can add subtasks, or to-do items, while creating or editing a task.
Once you turn on the Subtasks option, a checkbox will appear below with Things to do beside it. Fill in the name of the subtask, or the to-do item.
Click Add subtask to create more items on this checklist.
- Click CREATE TASK or SAVE to save your changes.
Once a subtask is completed, you can check the box beside it to mark it as done.
- Click on the sideways ellipsis in any tasks list, then click Edit, or click on the task name on the dashboard
- Click on the checkbox next to the subtask, then click SAVE to save your changes.
You can see the number of completed subtasks and the total number of subtasks in your tasks list.
Creating a Recurring Task
Recurring tasks are ones that repeat at regular intervals. These can be useful, for instance, when you need a reminder to make a weekly phone call to a client, check the regular mail once every three days, or prepare tax forms for certain clients annually.
Setting up a recurring task is no different from creating a regular one, except that you turn on the Repeat option. Once you do, you will be able to create a task schedule.
1. Select how often you want the task to repeat. By default, a task is repeated once a week. It can be repeated every x amount of days, weeks, months, or years.
2. Decide when you want a task to expire. You can select a specific date or the number of times you wish it to recur.
Once a recurring task is set, you will see its start date and due date as well as the number of recurring tasks in your queue.
You will also be able to identify which tasks will recur by the clock icon next to their names in the TASK NAME list.
You can attach files to your tasks. There are two ways to do this:
- To add files from your computer, click Attach File, select the From My Computer option, then locate the file you want to upload. You can upload PDFs, Word files, Excel files, and images. See the Uploading Documents help article for more details. The files attached to tasks are saved to the selected year under the of Docs tab inside the We Prepared subtab.
- To add files from TaxDome, click Attach File, select the From TaxDome option, then click the tax year and select the file(s). You can add any of the files that are already uploaded to the Docs tab inside the We Prepared subtab.
Changing a Client's Name During Creating a Task
Usually, you select the client's name before creating a task. However, sometimes it is the reverse:
If you clicked +NEW button and then selected Task while inside a client’s profile, you probably are looking to create a task for that particular client. That’s why the next step will be creating a task without the client-selection option.
If you mistakenly selected the wrong client.
You can still choose another client’s name once the Create Task window comes up:
1. Click the client's name at the top of the window. You’ll see a list containing your five most recent clients. If the one you are looking for does not appear there, type their name, ID, or email into the search field.
2. Click the CHANGE CLIENT button.
Please note: Changing a client's name will clear all fields. You will need to enter the task's details again.