Custom Task Templates
By Mary Cooper
updated 3 months ago
You can create task templates that can be used to create new tasks, to populate existing ones, or to use with stage actions in pipelines. Task templates save time by creating commonly used sets of tasks and storing them for future use. You’ll find them especially helpful for procedures you do over and over again and for ensuring best practices.
Creating a Task Template
A task template can be created by a firm owner. It can also be created by a team member who has granted the Manage templates permission.
To create a task template, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings in your left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, then click the CREATE TEMPLATE button.
2. Enter the name of the task template (e.g. Prepare 1040) in the required field.
3. Select the status that the tasks will be created with.
4. Choose the name of the team member you want to assign the tasks to. You can also select several if the project requires more than one team member. When you assign a task, it is automatically shared with the team member or members.
5. Set the priority that the tasks will be created with: LOW, HIGH, MEDIUM, or URGENT. The default priority is MEDIUM.
6. Enter the description (optional) to define tasks. You can apply formatting, add bullets or numbered lists to the description.
7. Add tags to your template. These help categorize your tasks and sort out unnecessary information. You can use here all tags created in the system.
8. Set a start and due date for the tasks. You can use relative or absolute dates here. When using relative dates (which is the default option), you can set a period of time that is relative to the date the task was created (e.g., start in 1 day after task creation, due in 2 weeks after task creation). If you want to select a start and due dates in the calendar instead (for example, 15 April), turn the Absolute dates toggle on.
It’s fine to also skip setting start and due dates. Setting dates is optional but can act as a helpful time-management tool for both you and your team. Plus, you’ll receive a reminder email two days before the task’s due date.
9. Turn on the Subtasks option to add to-do items on a checklist, which need to be performed in order for the overall task to be completed. Fill in the name of the subtask, then cllck Add subtask to create more items on this checklist.
10. When you are done in the Create Task Template window, click the SAVE button.
Applying a Task Template
Once you have created a template, you can use it to speed up your task creation. Here’s how:
2. Click the Template list to expand it, then select your desired template.
3. Proceed with the task creation. You can now edit any task properties that were already filled in—that is, add or remove subtasks, assignees, tags, description, etc.
Note: Changes you are making to a task don’t affect the selected template.
You can also use task templates for automated task creation when a client account is moved to a specific stage in a pipeline. Here’s how:
1. Go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click the pipeline name or click on the CREATE PIPELINE button.
2. Select the stage you want to link the action to, click + Add action in the top right corner of the Actions section, then select the Create Task action type.
3. Select a template for your automated action.
4. Click the SAVE button to save your changes.
Once a client account is moved to a stage with Create Task action type, the popup with the automated actions that are going to be generated is displayed. If you don't want automatic task to be created, deselect the action, then click Move.
Editing a Task Template
To make changes to a task template, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings in your left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, then click on the task template name in the list.
2. Make changes to the task template, then click the SAVE button.
Deleting a Task Template
To remove a task template completely, go to Settings in your left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, click the delete icon to the far right of the task template name, then click the DELETE button.