Tasks (Advanced): Link tasks to jobs
This page is for TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time!
Each job requires a set of tasks, such as asking a client to sign a contract, complete an organizer or upload a document. TaxDome allows you to automate your pipelines so that tasks are created automatically as jobs progress. However, you can also link tasks to jobs manually. Here, we explain how to use tasks inside pipelines.
- How to link tasks to jobs
- Managing linked tasks
- How to change a task’s status or assignee
- Match a task assignee to a job assignee
How to link tasks to jobs
Linking tasks to jobs is possible either automatically or manually. It is a huge time-saver when you set up your pipelines to automatically generate tasks at different stages.
Need an example? Add a Manager Review task automation in the Review stage of a pipeline, so that when jobs hit that stage, team members responsible for the jobs are automatically assigned the task to review the returns.
To learn how to automate tasks in pipelines, go here.
However, in some cases, you may also want to link tasks to jobs manually.
There are two ways to do it:
- From the task creation/editing screen: once the client account is selected, select job.
- From a pipeline: Make sure that the job is in the right stage, click the job box, then + Link on the top right, select Tasks, then choose the tasks or edit them by clicking the task name without leaving the Link Tasks page and click Save. You can link any tasks previously created for the same client account.
Note the following:
- A specific task can be linked to a job only once.
- A job might include as many different tasks as needed.
- Tasks are linked to jobs by a firm owner, admin or team member with access rights to view all accounts or assigned to the account.
Once tasks are linked, view them in the Tasks section and edit them by clicking the task name, then click Save. Tasks linked last are listed first.
You’ll see the following:
- NAME: What the task is called. If the task is recurring, a clock appears next to it.
- SUBTASKS: This counter shows the number of completed subtasks on the left and their total on the right.
- ASSIGNEE(S): You can change the team members assigned to the task here if needed.
- STATUS: Tasks are Planned, In review, In progress, On hold, Extended, Waiting for client/signatures/agency, Completed, Canceled or with No status. You can change the status here if needed.
- Plus, click on the name of the task to review it and edit its details. Click the x to unlink unnecessary tasks.
Managing linked tasks
You can manage linked tasks in three places:
- The task editing window: Here, you’ll see which pipeline and stage the task is in. Click on the pipeline’s name to go to it.
- The task list: Here, you’ll see the job the task is linked to as well as the pipeline and stage it’s in. Click on the job’s name if you need to make changes to a linked task.
- The pipeline: The counter on the right shows the number of unfinished tasks in the current stage. For more details, go here.
How to change a task’s status or assignee inside a pipeline
- ...reviewing a job’s details. Add, delete or change the assignees of the linked task inside the current stage. See above for details.
- ...moving a job to a new stage that includes a Create task automation. Add, delete or change the assignees when the task is added to a pipeline.
- ...moving a job with incomplete tasks to a new stage. Add, delete or change the assignees when moving a job with unfinished tasks to the next stage.
If there are incomplete tasks when a job is moved to a new stage, a pull-down menu appears in the Unfinished Requirements section. Choose one of the prompts:
- Mark complete: Change the status of the task to Completed.
- Move to next stage: Move the task to the next stage without changing its status.
- Delete: Delete the task from the job.
- Unlink: Unlink the task from the job. (It will still be available but no longer linked to the job. Once you unlink a task, you can link it to another job.)
Match task assignee with job assignee
Usually, a task assignee is selected in the task template. However, you can change it inside the Create task automation in the pipeline settings: click on the automation name, then toggle on Assign task to job assignee. This will overwrite the task assignee defined in the template.
When a job is moved to a new stage, the task assignee will automatically match with the job assignee. You can make changes to task assignees manually if needed.
Note: If Job Assignee is not selected, then the assignee field remains empty for the tasks that are triggered by the automation with the Assign task to job assignee option enabled.