Custom Task Templates
You can create task templates that can be used for triggering new tasks, populating existing ones, or applied with automations in pipelines. Task templates save time by putting together commonly used sets of tasks and storing them for future use. You’ll find them especially helpful for frequently used procedures and ensuring best practices.
- Creating Task Templates
- Adding Default Task Templates From Our Library
- Applying Task Templates
- Auto-Sending Tasks to Client Accounts as Automations
- Editing Task Templates
- Duplicating Task Templates
- Deleting Task Templates
Creating Task Templates
A task template can be created by a firm owner or any team member who has been given access rights to manage templates.
To create a task template, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings in your left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, then click the CREATE TEMPLATE button.
Or you can access this page by selecting the Create Task automation while creating or editing a pipeline, and clicking on the New Template button.
2. Enter the name of the task template (e.g., Prepare 1040) in the required field.
3. Select the status that the tasks should start in.
4. Choose the name of the team member you want to assign the tasks to; you can also select several if the project requires more than one. When you assign a task, it’s automatically shared with asignees.
5. Set the level of priority that the tasks should start with: LOW, HIGH, MEDIUM, or URGENT. The default priority level is MEDIUM.
6. Enter a description to define the tasks (optional). You can apply formatting or add bullets or numbered lists to the description.
7. Add tags to the template. These help categorize your tasks and sort out unnecessary information. You can use predesigned tags or creat new one.
8. Set start and due dates for the tasks; these are considered either relative or absolute (approximate or firm). When using relative dates (the default option), you can set a period of time that is relative to the date the task was created (e.g., start one day after the task was created; finish two weeks after it was created). If you want to select a start and due dates from the calendar instead (for example, April 15), turn the Absolute dates toggle on.
You also can skip setting start and due dates. Setting dates is optional but can act as a helpful time-management tool for both you and your team. Plus, you’ll receive a reminder email two days before the task’s due date.
9. Turn on the Subtasks option to add checklist to-do items, which need to be performed in order for the overall task to be completed. Fill in the name of the subtask, then click Add subtask to create more checklist items.
10. When you’re done working in the Create Task Template window, click the SAVE button.
Adding Default Task Templates From Our Library
We offer default task templates, which you can also easily edit. To add a task template from our library:
1. Go to Settings in the left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, then click the COPY FROM LIBRARY button.
2. Click the copy icon to the right of the template you want to add.
3. When you’re adding a template from our library, the assignees and tags lists will always be empty. You’ll need to fill them out with your own choices as well as edit other fields as needed. Click on template’s name, make your changes, then click SAVE.
Applying Task Templates
Once you’ve created a template, you can use it to speed up your task creation. Here’s how:
2. Click the Template list to expand it, then select your desired template.
3. Continue by creating the task. You can now edit any task properties that were already filled in—that is, add or remove subtasks, assignees, tags, etc.
Note: Changes you make to a task don’t affect the selected template.
Editing Task Templates
To make changes to a task template, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings in your left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, then click on the task template name in the list.
2. Make changes to the task template, then click the SAVE button.
Duplicating Task Templates
You can create new task templates from existing ones. Click the three-dots icon to the far right of the task’s template name, then select Duplicate from the pull-down menu. The task template’s copy will be saved with the appropriate suffix (e.g., Form 940 (2)).
Deleting Task Templates
To remove a task template completely, go to Settings in your left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, click the three-dots icon to the far right of the task’s template name, select Delete in the pull-down menu, then click the DELETE button.