Time Entries (Basic): Bill Time, Edit, Delete, Link to Jobs
Learn everything you need to know about managing time entries: how to bill time, as well as how to edit time entries, link them to jobs, and delete them.
- Creating invoices from time entries
- Editing time entries
- Linking time entries to jobs
- Deleting time entries
Creating invoices from time entries
Your team member with the Manage invoices access rights can bill tracked time by creating an invoice straight from the time entries. Follow these steps:
1. Go to the Time Entries tab of the Invoices page. Or, to the Time Entries subtab of the Invoices tab inside a client account.
2. Select one or more time entries for a single client.
3. Click on the Create Invoice button at the top left. You will see the Create Invoice page with time entries added as line items. You can edit any of the line items if needed.
4. Fill in the Create Invoice page and click Create.
Keep in mind:
- You can create an invoice for a few time entries at once, but only for a single client account.
- Creating an invoice is possible only for time entries with Billable type and Unbilled status only.
- Once you create an invoice, the time entry's status changes from Unbilled to Billed.
- The service and description for the time entry are converted into the service and description for the line item.
- If you create an invoice for a few time entries with the same service, rate and description, they will be merged into a single line item.
- Editing a line item in the invoice doesn't impact the time entry (e.g. changing the rate in the line item of the invoice does not change the rate listed in the time entry).
- Similarly, editing a time entry after creating an invoice does not impact the invoice.
Attention! Applying a template to the invoice while creating it deletes line items.
Editing time entries
To make changes to a time entry, click on the three dots to the far right of it, then select Edit.
You can also edit an active time entry by clicking the timer on the top right and selecting the pencil icon to the right of the account name.
What can be changed:
- For active time entries, you can change the account, service, rate, assignee, description, tags and the two toggles, Billable and Copy description to invoice line item.
- For the finished time entries, you can edit all of the above, plus the date and duration.
Linking time entries to jobs
Linking time entries to jobs helps make them available in pipelines. They can be linked to jobs by a firm owner, admin or team member with access rights to manage time entries.
- From a pipeline: Click on the job box to expand it, click + Link at the top of the page, then select Time Entries. Choose any time entry previously added to the client account.
After linking time entries, they will show up in the Time Entries section of the job box. You can click on them to view and edit their details. To unlink a time entry, simply click the x on the right side of the time entry.
- From the Invoices page: Go to the Time Entries tab or to the Time Entries subtab of the Invoices tab for a client account. Click on the three dots to the far right of the time entry and select Link to jobs. Select the jobs and click Link. You can also do this from the Edit screen.
Once you link a job to a time entry, it will appear in the JOBS column.
- While creating a time entry: From the Track your time page, click the Link to jobs, select the jobs, and click Link.
Deleting time entries
To remove a completed time entry, click on the three dots to the far right of it, then select Delete.
To remove an active time entry, click the timer on the top right, then click the trash icon to the right of the account name.