Jobs (Basic): Create & Apply Templates
This page applies to TaxDome Pro! pricing plan only. You can upgrade anytime.
Create templates to use for specific kinds of jobs. You’ll find them especially helpful for all your frequently used procedures and when adding multiple jobs to pipelines.
- Creating Job Templates
- Customizing Job Names With Shortcodes
- Applying Job Templates
- Default Job Template
- Editing Job Templates
- Duplicating Job Templates
- Deleting Job Templates
Creating Job Templates
A job template can be created by a firm owner or any team member who has been given access rights to manage templates.
To create a job template, go to Settings from the sidebar menu, select Templates in the menu bar, open the Jobs tab, then click Create Template.
See below for details about each numbered section.
1. Template name: You’ll see this when selecting the template for the job; for example, 1040 Return.
2. Job name: You’ll see this in the pipeline. Use shortcodes to add dynamic data to job names and make them easily identifiable. See below for more details.
3. Assignees: Select the team members for the job. To learn more about assigning jobs, go here.
4. Priority: Choose the priority that the job should start with; for example, LOW, HIGH, MEDIUM, or URGENT.
5. Description: Describe the job. You can use text formatting, emoji, bullets, numbered lists, and also insert links.
6. Due date: These are either relative or absolute (approximate or firm). When using relative dates (the default), set a period of time from the date the job is created (e.g., start one day after the job is created; finish two weeks after it is created). If you want to select a specific due date from the calendar instead, toggle on Absolute dates. Setting due dates is optional but can be a helpful time-management tool for your team.
7. Comments: Add whatever seems pertinent—for example, something your team members need to know to complete the job.
8. Save: Once you save a job template, you can select it when adding a job.
Customizing Job Names With Shortcodes
While creating a job template, you might want to include some dynamic data in the job name so that you can easily tell jobs apart once they’re inside the pipeline. That’s what the Job name shortcodes in the Create Job Template window are for.
With shortcodes, you can include these specific details about a job:
- Account Name: the account the job is for
- Creation Date: the date the job is created
- Creation Day: the day the job is created
- Creation Month: the month the job is created
- Creation Year: the year the job is created
- Due Date: the due date set in the job template
- Pipeline Periodicity: the job’s schedule settings in the selected pipeline
- Priority: the priory set in the job template
Below, see the examples of job names with shortcodes and how they will appear in the pipeline:
|Job Name + Shortcodes||What You’ll See in the Pipeline|
|Payroll for [ACCOUNT_NAME], due [DUE_DATE]||Payroll for Otto Mann, due May-12-2021|
|1040, [ACCOUNT_NAME], [PRIORITY]||1040, ACME Corp., High|
|Monthly payroll, [CREATION_MONTH][CREATION_YEAR]||Monthly payroll, May 2021|
Applying Job Templates
Once you have a job template, use it to speed up the job-creation process. Job templates are applied either manually or automatically by selecting a default (see below)
To apply a job template manually:
1. Create a new job as described here.
2. Click the Template list to expand it, then select the template you want. Check the template details.
3. Continue by creating the job. Add accounts, and indicate the pipeline.
Default Job Template
The default job template is the one that is automatically applied to all jobs that are created in a pipeline. To set the default job template, click on the Create Pipeline button inside the Pipelines section either from Settings or Workflow. You can also edit an existing pipeline to select the default job template for it.
Once the default job template is set, it’s automatically applied...
- ...when a job is manually added to the pipeline.
- ...when a recurring job is automatically added to the pipeline according to the schedule settings. For more details, go here.
- ...when a job is automatically added to the pipeline according to the settings of the custom client signup form. For more details, go here.
Editing Job Templates
To make changes to a job template:
1. Go to Settings from the left sidebar menu, select Templates in the menu bar, go to Jobs, then click on the job template name in the list.
2. Make changes to the job template, then click the Save button.
Duplicating Job Templates
Create new job templates from existing ones: Click the three-dots icon to the far right of the job template’s name, then select Duplicate from the pull-down. The job template’s copy will be saved with the appropriate suffix (e.g., Form 940 (2)).
Deleting Job Templates
To remove a job template completely, go to Settings from the left sidebar menu, select Templates in the menu bar, go to Jobs, click the three-dots icon to the far right of the job’s template name, select Delete in the pull-down, then click the Delete button to confirm.