Signatures (Advanced): Create & Apply Templates
Use signature templates to save time requesting e-signatures for frequently used forms. Instead of each time having to manually add required fields (signature, initials, date, free text entry, etc.), create a template once, then apply it whenever needed. Templates can be applied on the Web app as well as the Windows desktop app.
- Creating Signature Templates
- Adding Default Signature Templates from Our Library
- Applying Signature Templates
- Editing Signature Templates
- Duplicating Signature Templates
- Deleting Signature Templates
Creating Signature Templates
A signature template can be created by a firm owner, admin or any team member with manage templates access rights. Design them ahead so they’re ready to go or to further customize.
To create a signature template:
1. Go to Settings from the left sidebar, choose Templates in the menu bar, select Signatures, then click CREATE TEMPLATE.
2. Drag-and-drop the PDF form (e.g., 8879, 1040 or 1099) you want to create a template for.
3. Name the template.
4. Add signature fields. You’ll need to add signature fields for different signers separately:
- For the first signer, select Signer #1 in the Choose signer drop-down. Select the date format (it will remain the same for the next signers). Add as many fields for their signature, initials, and the date as needed. Add text fields to request an SSN, a mother’s maiden name, etc.
- For the second signer, such as a spouse, add one more signer by clicking Edit signers, then Add signer, then Back. Now, add the necessary fields for them.
- For the firm rep, select Firm Member in the Choose signer drop-down. Now, add the necessary fields for them as well.
5. Click Save.
Adding Default Signature Templates from Our Library
We offer sample signature templates that you can easily edit. To add a signature template from our library:
1. Go to Settings from the left sidebar menu, select Templates in the menu bar, open the Signatures tab, then click COPY FROM LIBRARY.
2. Click the copy icon to the far right of the template you want to add. Edit the template by clicking on its name.
Applying Signature Templates
Once you’ve created a template, use it to speed up your signature-requesting process. Here’s how:
1. Request a signature for any document uploaded to your folder with Client can view access.
2. Click Template to get a drop-down menu. Select a template.
- Your name will automatically populate the firm representative’s e-signature field.
- Your clients’ names will automatically populate the Signer 1 and Signer 2 signature fields.
Read more on signature settings.
By default, the signing order is the same as the linked contacts in the Account Details section. Change it if needed:
- To find out where to place signatures, go here.
- To change the order of the signatures on a document, click Edit signers. Select the name of the contact from the drop-down for Signer 1, then for Signer 2. Delete any unwanted signers by clicking the trash can icon. Add more signers by clicking Add signer.
Editing Signature Templates
To make changes to a signature template:
1. Go to Settings from the left sidebar menu, select Templates in the menu bar, open the Signatures tab, then click on the signature template.
2. Make changes to the signature template, then click SAVE.
Duplicating Signature Templates
Create new signature templates based on existing ones: Click the three dots to the far right of the signature template name, then select Duplicate. The template’s copy will be saved with a suffix (e.g., Signature (2)).
Deleting Signature Templates
To remove a signature template completely, go to Settings from the left sidebar menu, select Templates in the menu bar, then open the Signatures tab. Click the three dots to the far right of the signature template, click Delete, then confirm by clicking DELETE in the Delete Confirmation pop-up.