Windows App: Upload Documents
The TaxDome Windows application lets you quickly and easily upload your documents and folders. Here, find all the ways to do it:
- Uploading Documents
- Uploading Folders
- Uploading in Bulk
- Creating Account Folders in Bulk
- Viewing the Upload History
To upload files from the TaxDome Windows application:
1. Click + NEW on the top left of the page, select File Upload, then choose the files.
2. Select the client account where you wish to upload the files.
3. Click UPLOAD FILES to finish uploading the documents.
Below, see how to handle each numbered section:
1. Account: Select which account the documents are for.
2. Select file destination: Select the top-level folder where you’d like to upload. For more details on visibility and access levels, go here.
3. Directory: By default, documents are saved to a top-level folder. If you want to select a subfolder, click Change. To create a new folder, click the folder icon, enter a name for it, click the green checkmark to the right, then сlick CHOOSE.
4. File Name: Edit the file’s name if needed.
5. Link to job: Toggle this on, then select a job for the current account to which the doc will be linked. Read more about linking elements to jobs.
6. Lock document to an unpaid invoice: Toggle this on if you want the document to be visible to the client but only downloadable once they have paid for the service. The doc unlocks as soon as it has been paid for. Select the invoice you wish to lock the document to from the list or click CREATE NEW INVOICE to create a new one, then сlick CHOOSE. For more details, go here.
Note: This option is available only for uploads to top-level folders with Client can view access. Find more information about visibility settings in the article.
7. Request client account approval: If you’d like to find out whether clients are satisfied with your work or need changes, toggle this on. For more details, go here.
8. Request client signature: If you want clients to e-sign documents, toggle this on. For more details about adding signature fields, go here.
9. Description: Edit the document’s description if needed (up to 150 characters).
10. Inform clients about upload: Let clients know that a file has been uploaded. By default, this is toggled on, so that an automatic email notification goes out to them. Turn it off if you don’t want clients to receive notifications.
Note: This option is available only for uploads to the top-level folders with Client can view access. Find more information about visibility settings in the article.
11. UPLOAD FILES: Click to start the uploading process; you’ll see the uploading progress. Once the files have finished loading, they’ll be available in the Docs tab of the client account profile.
The TaxDome Windows application lets you upload entire folders containing multiple client account docs. To add a folder, click + NEW, select Folder Upload, then choose the folder. Continue as described above. It’s much quicker than uploading docs one by one.
When uploading folders, keep these facts in mind:
TaxDome processes all files in the selected folder and their subfolders.
For the safety of your data, TaxDome does not recognize all file types (for more details, go here).
You can provide details for each doc in your folders and subfolders: select the client, the destination folder, etc.
Your original folder structure is not replicated on TaxDome; you’ll need to create new folders to organize your files. Or you can bulk upload to keep your original structure. Note that new folders will be created with Client can view and edit access level.
You can’t select several folders at once. If you need to upload docs from several different folders, use the UPLOAD FOLDER button for each one.
Uploading in Bulk
Our Bulk Upload feature is helpful when you have lots of old client docs in folders on your desktop or in cloud storage. It allows you to quickly move those documents to TaxDome.
When you bulk upload:
- Files that are not in folders are uploaded to the Private top-level folder. This way, you’ll be able to sort them whenever you’re ready. If you don’t already have a top-level folder called Private, one is automatically created for you.
- Folders on your desktop are automatically matched to TaxDome account names, so you don’t have to select clients manually.
- If a client account is missing for a desktop folder, quickly create a new one for it.
- Files are uploaded in the background, so you can use the app while uploading is in progress.
To make sure your folders are paired to the proper client accounts, each folder name needs to match its corresponding TaxDome client account name or account ID.
To find a client ID and account name, go to the Clients section. They are listed in the ID and NAME columns. Client account names are either the organization’s name or the client’s first and last name.
A client ID is a unique combination of two letters and one number, such as JB1 or AR2.
Tip! You can create account folders in bulk by exporting your client list and using the simple script. Read more here.
1. Place each document you need to upload in the proper client folder. Create as many subfolders inside a client’s folder as needed. The maximum upload file size is 200 Mb.
2. Click NEW, then select Bulk Upload. You can also right-click the TaxDome Windows application tray icon and select Bulk Upload.
3. Locate the parent folder you’ve created. The TaxDome Windows application will select the client names automatically. However, you can change any client name. If you have folders for clients who haven’t yet been added to TaxDome, click Create New in the account list to create a TaxDome account for them.
4. Click UPLOAD FILES to add your documents to TaxDome.
You can watch the progress of the upload or minimize it (it will continue in the background). Once the files have finished loading, download a report. Successfully uploaded files will be available in the Docs section of each client’s profile and the folder structure maintained.
Tip! If you still having trouble with the file transfer, we can do it for you. Follow the instruction from the article to get help.
Creating Account Folders in Bulk
When using Bulk Upload feature (for more details, go here) or copying the files from TD Drive to your local folders or vice versa, you need to have account folders created on your computer. Here, we will show you how to do it quickly, even if you have dozens of clients.
To do so, you need to build a folder-creating script. Here's how:
- Prepare the CSV File you used to import contacts to TaxDome. You can also use the Export Accounts feature from the Clients page. For more details, go here.
- Create a folder on your desktop and put the CSV File into the folder.
- Open the CSV File. Find the column with account names, you will need only this one. Delete all other columns.
- Copy the formula:=CONCATENATE("MD ",CHAR(34),A2,CHAR(34)) to the cell right to the one with account name and then apply it to the whole column (you can use autofill features in Google Sheets or Excel). If CONCATENATE formula is not available in your software, try to use CONCATE instead.
- Select all the cells with the formula applied (column B) and copy them.
- Create a notepad file in the same folder and paste the value into it. Then save the file as type All files with the name Script.bat and close it.
- Open Script.bat to run the script. It will rapidly create folders in bulk.
Now you`re ready to use the Bulk Upload feature to quickly move all the folders to TaxDome. For more details, go here.
Viewing the Upload History
Not sure you’ve uploaded all the necessary documents? View your upload history to find out. Click the UPLOAD HISTORY link to see the date, file name, client info and uploading status. Click CLEAR HISTORY to delete the info (this will not delete your files).