How to Export Your Client List From Your Current Software
If you’re struggling to get your clients off the software you’re currently using for your practice and onto TaxDome, we’re here to help you expedite the process.
Skip ahead to the software you’ve been using to see our step-by-step instructions on how to export your client list to a CSV file (.csv). Plus, we give you workarounds for creating CSV files from other file types, such as XML (.xml), when needed. Once you have your CSV file on your desktop, you’ll be ready to import your client list to TaxDome.
- CCH Axcess
- ССH ProSystem
- CCH Workflow
- CountingWorks PRO
- CrossLink Professional
- e-Form RS
- GMail (Google Contacts)
- Jetpack Workflow
- Outlook (Desktop or Office 365)
- Practice CS
- QuickBooks Desktop
- QuickBooks Online
- Sage One (Now SBCA)
- TaxSlayer Pro
- UltraTax CS
17hats is a contact-based system. A contact is defined as anyone you communicate with. You can export your contacts to a CSV file from the Contacts or Leads page by clicking the gear icon on the top right and selecting the Export Contacts option. The download will automatically begin, and the CSV file will appear in your downloads file.
To export your contacts from Aero, create a Contact List Report. Click the Customize link if you want to hide some default columns or add additional ones. Click the Report to CSV button to export the report to a CSV file. Data will be exported according to your filter options. All columns will be included, and the data will not be grouped in any way.
To export a client list from ATX to a CSV file:
1. Mark the returns of the clients whose information you wish to appear in the Client List or click Mark All on the toolbar to mark all returns and include all clients.
2. From the Return Manager, click on the Reports menu, then select Export Marked Client List.
3. Enter a name for the file, browse to the desired export location for the file, then click Save. Your client data will be saved as CSV file.
To export your client list from Canopy to a CSV file, navigate to Contacts, click the three-dots icon on the top right, then select Export Active Contacts from the drop-down menu.
Your contacts will be downloaded to a CSV file named CanopyContactsExport.csv.
To export your client list from CCH Axcess to a CSV file:
1. Open the Return Manager. In the Quick Search criteria, set filters to All, click Go, then press CTRL+A to select all client IDs.
2. Go to the Home tab, click Export Grid, select where you want to save the file, enter a file name, and click Save. Your contacts will then be downloaded to a CSV file.
To export your client list from CCH ProSystem to a CSV file:
1. Open Dashboard, click Applications on the navigation panel, and then click Create client list for Portal under Utilities. Note: You must have Edit Firm Setup permissions to select this option.
2. Select the Quick Search criteria, and then click Go to select which clients to export.
3. Click Export, select the CSV format for the file, then indicate where to save the export file. The default location is c:\users\<user name>\Downloads, where c:\ is your local drive and <user name> is the name of the user logged in to the machine. The default file name is PortalSaaSClient_<system date>_<system time>.
4. Click Save. Your contacts will then be downloaded to a CSV file.
To export your client list from CCH Workflow to a CSV file:
1. Go to File, select CT Import/Export, then Export. Filter your client list or select all clients.
2. Select where you want to save the file, enter the file name of your choice, click Save, then follow the export wizard.
The exported data file will be available as an XML file in the location you specified. To import this data to TaxDome, you’ll need to open it in Excel first, then save it as a CSV file as described in our article on importing.
To export your client list from ClientWhys to a CSV file:
1. Log in to ClientWhys at portal.clientwhys.com, then navigate to the Clients tab.
2. Click the gear icon and select Export Client List.
Your data will then be exported as a CSV file.
To export your client list from CountingWorks PRO to a CSV file:
1. Select Clients and then Client List.
2. Click the three-dots icon on the top right and select Download Client List.
Your data will then be downloaded as a CSV file.
To export your client list from CrossLink Professional to a CSV file:
1. From the working progress summary, select the Utility, then Export Records.
2. Select the type of data you want to export - Client Contacts (w/Valid Emails)
3. Click the three-dots button next to the Output Filename, enter a name for the file, browse to the desired export location for the file, then click Save.
4. Click the Export button. Your client data will be saved as CSV file.
To export your client list from Drake Software to a CSV file:
1. From the Report manager, create a custom report that includes all the client data you want to export.
2. View the custom report, then export it to a CSV file.
For more detailed instructions, go to DrakeSoftware Knowledgebase.
To export your client list from e-Form RS to a CSV file:
1. Make sure you’ve given the administrator Export Client List to Spreadsheet rights.
2. Go to Clients, then to My Clients.
3. On the My Clients screen, edit and change the sort order of the client list by applying filters to narrow the list down to the required information. In addition, you can add or remove columns on the list using the Column Chooser option.
4. When you’re ready, click Export to Spreadsheet.
The Client List is then exported to an Excel spreadsheet.
GMail (Google Contacts)
To export your client list from Google Contacts to a CSV file:
1. Go to Gmail, click on the Google apps icon in the upper right-hand corner, then click Contacts.
2. In Google Contacts, click Export in the left sidebar (the main menu), select Google CSV in the pop-up, then click Export.
3. Enter a name for the file, browse to the desired export location for the file, then click Save. The contacts are then exported as a CSV file onto your desktop.
To export your client list from Jetpack Workflow, go to the Clients tab, then click the Export Clients button.
If you have admin permission, your client data can be exported from Contacts by selecting the cloud icon and the data you would like to download. A spreadsheet will then be saved to your desktop.
To export your client data from Lacerte:
1. Go to the Clients tab, select the clients you want to to export, click on Client, click on Export, then select Export to file.
2. Select a directory for the exported file, select the Export Type as Comma Delimited.
3. Click on the plus sign (+) next to the category under the Available section, click on the items you would like to export, and then double-click on the item or click on the forward button (>) to move the item to the Display section.
4. Click on OK to create the file.
Note: Detailed information such as the name of the payer of interest or dividends, or the description of property, date acquired and sold for dispositions, etc., are not available for export. Only the total interest, dividend, and capital gain are in the available export fields.
To export your client data from Office Tools to a CSV file:
1. Log in to Practice Management, go to Contacts, select Import/Export Contacts, and then Excel Importer. Click Export.
2. Select the checkboxes next to the fields you want to include in the file. You can filter your contact info to be exported by Contact Type and Entity Type. At the top of the window, enter where you want to save the exported file in the Save Path field, select CSV for the file type, then click Export.
Outlook (Desktop or Office 365)
To export your client data from Outlook 2013 or 2016 to a CSV file:
1. Go to File, select Open & Export, then Import/Export.
2. Choose Export to a file, select Comma Separated Values, then in the Select folder to export from box, scroll to the top if needed and select the Contacts folder that's under your account.
3.Choose Browse, name your file, and choose OK.
To export your client data from Outlook 365 to a CSV file:
1. Open Outlook 365, click the Applications icon at the top left, then select People.
2. Select the Export contacts option from the Manage dropdown.
3. Decide which contacts you want to export by selecting a specific folder or All contacts option, then click Export.
Depending on your browser you'll be asked to either Open or Save the file.
Practice CS lets you export the data for selected client accounts and the primary contact linked to each one. It cannot export data for the additional or standalone contacts. To export your client list from Practice CS:
1. Go to File, select Export, then select the clients you would like to export from the list.
2. Select the Other checkbox under the Export Clients to section, then click the three-dots icon to select the location where you’d like the file to be saved and enter its name. Click Save.
3. Click Export Selected in the bottom-right corner.
The exported data file will be available as an XML file in the location you chose. To import the data to TaxDome, you’ll need to open the file in Excel, and then save it as CSV file. For more details, go to our article on importing.
To export your client list from PracticePerfect to a CSV file:
1. Select Reports from the main menu, go to Marketing, and then select Client Listing Report.
2. Select the data you want to export: First, select the clients, then select the Show Detailed Report radio button to include their email addresses.
3. Select the Do you want to export? checkbox at the bottom of the screen, then click Export.
4. Check the Export type: Select CSV. Choose the folder where you want the file to go, then click Save.
To export your client list from Proseries to a CSV file:
- Make sure you have ProSeries 2015 or higher.
- Click HomeBase at the top of the program window, click Export Contacts, then click OK.
You will get the CSV file, whcih will include the contact information for all the clients that are included in the HomeBase view. The CSV file will not not include any tax return data.
To export your client list from QuickBooks Desktop to Excel:
1. Press CTRL+J to open the Customer Center.
2. Expand the Excel dropdown, then select Export Customer List
3. In the export window, select Create New Worksheet, then click Export. QuickBooks will open Excel with your customer data in a new workbook. Save this document as a CSV as described in our article on importing.
There are two ways to export your client data from QuickBooks Online. One is from the Customers page and the other from the Reports page. Each gives you a different result and will affect the information you export to Excel. The data exported from QuickBooks will be available as an Excel file in the location you save it. To import the data to TaxDome, you’ll need to open it in Excel , then save it as a CSV file. For more details, go to our article on importing.
Export customer data from the Customers page
If you export from the Customer page, you’ll be able to export data from the Name, Company, Address, Phone Number, Email Address, Customer Type, Attachment, Currency, Balance, and Notes columns.
1. From the left menu, select Sales, then Customers.
2. Click the Export to Excel button at the top right, then save your file.
Export customer data from the Reports page
If you export from the Reports page, you can customize the client data you want to export to Excel, so it is a more precise and detailed approach.
1. From the left menu, select Reports, go to Sales, then the Customers section.
2. Click on Customer Contact List. If you want to make changes to the default report, click the three-dots icon, then Customize. In the Rows/Columns drop-down, select Change columns, add your desired columns, then select Run report.
3. Select the Export icon above right of the CUSTOMER CONTACT LIST, then choose Export to Excel.
Sage One (Now SBCA)
To export client data from Sage One to a CSV file:
1. Go to Company, then select Export Data.
2. In the Export Type field select Customers, then in the Date Format field, choose how you want dates to be displayed in the exported file.
2. Click on the Export Data button.
To export client data from Senta to a CSV file:
1. Open the Client List, order or filter it if necessary to display the clients, then select the ones you want to be exported.
2. Go to Actions, then select Export. You’ll be presented with the option to export either the visible columns or all of the data available for the clients.
A CSV file will then be saved to your default download location.
To export client data from ShareFile to a CSV file:
1. Go to Settings, then to Admin Settings.
2. Select the Reporting section under the Company Account Info.
3. Click the Create Report button, select Users, click Next, select Client under User Type, then select CSV under Generate. Click Create.
4. Once your new report is ready click on it's title in the list to download it.
To export your client data from TaxAct to a CSV file:
1. Go to Client Manager, select the Export Client(s) from the File menu, then select TaxDome Export.
2. You will also have the ability to select individual clients you would like to export or click on the Select All button to export them all. After selecting the clients you would like to export, click OK.
3. Save your CSV file.
To export client data from TaxCalc to a CSV file:
1 Go to the Report manager, click New Report, then enter a name for it.
3. Choose the columns by selecting each one from the Columns Available section and clicking Add.
4. Once you have created a report, you’ll be prompted to run it. Click Yes.
5. Click Export Report and choose to save the report as a CSV file. Then choose a location to save it to.
To export client data from TaxSlayer Pro to a CSV file:
1. Select Reports, click Client Reports, then select the filter you would like to use to generate the report.
2. Select the Export to Microsoft Excel File option from the Generate Report Type drop-down menu.
3. Click the View button. The total number of clients found using the selected filter will be displayed on the screen. Select Yes to continue.
4. Select the fields you want to print on the report (first name, last name, SSN, etc.) and select Ok. Then choose a location to save it to.
To export your client data from UltraTax CS:
1. Go to Utilities, then to Client Listing Reports, select the report you want to export, e.g., General Client Information, Client Contact, Client Family, etc., then click Continue.
2. In the Select Clients for Report dialog box, use the fields in the Focus group box to include or exclude clients from the list of available clients.
In the Clients available to print pane on the left, highlight the clients you want to include in the report, and then click the Select button. The clients you have chosen will be moved to the Clients to print pane on the right.
Click the Export button, specify the file name, XLS file type, and location for the exported version of the selected report.
Select the Include column headings checkbox if you want column headings in your report, then click Save.
To import this data to TaxDome, you’ll need to open it in Excel, then save it as a CSV file. For more detailed instructions, see our article on importing.
To export your client data from Wave to a CSV file, go to Settings, then to Data Export, and select Export all transactions as CSV. A zip archive with data files will then be saved to your default download location. Unpack the file to get access to the customers.csv file that includes your clients information.
Another way to export your customer data from Wave is to use the Wave Connect add-on. Read more here about how to set it up and use it.
To export your client data from Xero to a CSV file:
1. In the Contacts menu, select the group of contacts you want to export. For example, to export contacts you’ve created sales invoices and sales credit notes for, click Customers.
2. Click Export. Your contacts will then download as a CSV file on your computer.