Creating a Bill
By Mary Cooper
updated 2 months ago
- Creating a Bill
- Setting Up a Reminder
- Changing a Client Account During Creating a Bill
- What Your Client Sees When You Create a Bill
Creating a Bill
You can create a bill in TaxDome by following these steps:
1. Click the +NEW button in the blue sidebar, select Bill from the pull-down menu, then find the client account you would like to bill. You will see your five most recent clients here in a list on the pop-up window. If you don’t see the client account you are looking for in the list, type their name, ID or email in the search field.
Please note: If the bill you’re creating is for a different client account than the one you originally chose, you can always specify another in the Create New Bill window that follows (See how).
2. Select the date that the bill needs to be issued. You may issue a bill on a past date, on a current date, but not to a future date.
3. Enter the amount of the bill. Select Sales Tax (HST or VAT depending on your currency settings) to automatically add tax to the bill. Once the sales tax has been added, you’ll see it reflected in the bill-amount total.
Note: To speed up the process of creating bills, you can set the default tax rate in Settings by going to Payments.
4. By default, the person creating the bill will receive the payment for it. However, you may also select another team member to receive the payment.
5. If a client account has enough TaxDome credits to cover the bill, it will be automatically marked as paid. However, you can clear the Settle bill with client's credits checkbox if needed. Note that you cannot lock documents to a bill that has already been paid.
6. For all bills that are not marked as paid, clients receive invoice notifications by email. If you don’t want to notify a client account of the bill by email, clear the Send email invoice to the client checkbox.
7. You may also add a description (of up to 150 characters) outlining what is included in the bill.
8. Turn on a reminder to send an email to an account if they do not settle a bill (see below for details).
9. Click the SUBMIT button to create the bill.
Setting Up a Reminder
While creating a bill, you can switch on a reminder. which will send an additional email to an account if they fail to settle it. Here's how you can configure it:
You can also add a reminder to a bill. Once the reminder is turned on, TaxDome will send an additional email to the client account if they do not pay the bill on time. Tuen on the Reminders toggle, then configure it:
Inactivity Threshold, Days: the number of days before an inactive client is sent out a reminder. By default, a reminder is sent three days after a bill is created.
Limit to: the number of reminders you would like TaxDome to send. By default, client gets only one reminder email.
Reminders stop when the bill was settled.
Changing a Client Account During Creating a Bill
Usually, you select the client account before creating a bill. However, sometimes it is the reverse:
If you clicked +NEW button and then selected Bill while inside a client’s profile, you probably are looking to create a bill for that particular client. That’s why the next step will be creating a bill without the client-selection option.
If you mistakenly selected the wrong client account.
You can still choose another client account once the Create New Bill pop-up comes up. Click the client account at the top of the window. You’ll see a list containing your five most recent clients. If the one you are looking for does not appear there, type their name, ID, or email into the search field.
What Your Client Sees When You Create a Bill
Your client can view unpaid bills on the Home section of their portal or by clicking the link in the email notification.
You can access Read-Only View of Client Account Portal to experience TaxDome from the client account.