Bills: How to Create, Set Reminders, Email Invoice
You can send bills to your clients either manually or via pipeline automation. And you can use bill templates to speed up the bills creation.
- Sending Bills
- Setting Up Reminders About Bills
- How Invoice Numbers Are Generated
- What Clients See When You Create Bills
- Emailing an Invoice
You can send bills in several ways:
Send a Bill Once
Create a bill on TaxDome by following these steps:
1. Click the + NEW button in the left sidebar, select Bill from the slide-out menu.
2. Enter the amount of the bill. Select Sales Tax (HST or VAT depending on your currency settings) to automatically add tax to the bill. Once the sales tax has been added, you’ll see it reflected in the bill-amount total.To speed up the process of creating bills, you can set the default tax rate in Settings by going to Integrations, then to Payments.
3. Add a description (up to 150 characters) outlining what is included in the bill.
4. And that’s it! Click the SUBMIT button to create the bill.
Plus, you can also...
- ...change the default date the bill needs to be issued. You can issue a bill for a past date, a current date, but not a future date.
- ...choose a custom invoice number instead of the one automatically generated by TaxDome (see below for details).
- ...select another team member to receive the payment for the bill. By default, the person creating the bill receives the money.
- ...select a payment method which will be allowed to use when your client pays a bill. Note that this option is available only when your default payment processing service is set to CPACharge AND the payment method to use is set to Credit Card or ACH. (see article for details).
- ...send invoice notifications to the client. Select the Send email invoice to the client checkbox if you want the client to be notified by email about a bill
- ..mark a bill as paid with existing credits. Select the Settle bill with client credits checkbox if you want the bill to be automatically marked as paid. Note: You cannot lock documents to a bill that has already been paid.
- ...enable the Reminders option. This will send an email notification to the client if they do not settle the bill within three—or a specified number of—days (see below for details).
Auto-Sending Bills to Client Accounts as Automations
You can send bills as automations when a job has been moved to a new stage in a pipeline. To send an automated bill to a client, you’ll first need to create a template. For more details, see our Custom Bills Templates article. Once you have a template, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click on the pipeline name or the CREATE PIPELINE button.
2. Select the stage you want to link the automation to, click + Add automation, then choose Send Bill in the pull-down menu.
3. Select the template for the automation, then decide if you want to turn on a reminder (an additional email is sent to the client if they don’t respond to the message within a certain time frame). Read more on how the reminders work here.
4. Click the SAVE button to save your changes.
Once a job is moved to a new stage in a pipeline with the Send Bill automation, a pop-up with the automation is displayed. If you don’t want the automatic bill to be sent, deselect the automation, then click MOVE.
Setting Up Reminders for Bills
While creating a bill, you can enable the Reminders option. This way, the client will be sent a reminder to settle the bill if it has not been paid within a certain amount of days; the default number of days is three, but you can change that and the amount of reminders you want to be sent out:
Inactivity Threshold, Days: This is the number of days before an inactive client is sent a reminder. By default, the reminder is sent three days after a bill is issued, but you can change this to a number you prefer.
Limit to: This is the number of reminders TaxDome sends to the client. By default, the client gets only one reminder email, but you can change this to a number you prefer.
Reminders stop when...
- ...the client has not settled the bill and the set number of reminders has been reached.
- ...the client has settled the bill.
How Invoice Numbers Are Generated
- You can manually choose an invoice number when you create a bill—but if you leave the field empty, one will be automatically generated by TaxDome.
- The invoice number will be sent to QuickBooks if you have set up sync.
- You will be able to edit the invoice number later, and it will be automatically updated in QuickBooks if you have set up sync.
- Each invoice inside your firm has a unique number; your firm cannot have two or more invoices with the same one.
- When automatically generated, the number of an invoice is sequential—the number will follow the previous one.
- If you manually create invoice numbers, the system will use the next available number when generating a new invoice.
What Clients See When You Create Bills
Your client can view and pay bills by (1) clicking the notification on their dashboard, (2) clicking the link in their email notification, or (3) clicking the link in the Bills & Payments section of their portal.
You can access a read-only view of a client account portal to see TaxDome from the client’s side.
Emailing an Invoice
Clients with the NOTIFY toggle on receive an invoice notification by email when a bill is created. If you’ve turned off the notification or want to send an additional one when the bill is overdue, there are three options:
- Send an invoice for a bill to a client: Click the three-dots icon to the right of the bill, then click Send Invoice by Email.
Send an invoice for selected bills to a client: Select the checkboxes next to the bills on the client account’s Billings page, then click the SEND INVOICE FOR SELECTED BILLS button.
Send an invoice for all unpaid bills to a client: Select the top-left checkbox on the client’s Billings page, then click the Send invoice for selected bills button.
Then follow these steps:
1. Check the invoice information. If several bills were selected, all of them are added.
2. Type a custom message to the client (optional).
3. The invoice is sent to the email addresses that have notifications turned on and are linked to the client account. Add other email addresses if needed by clicking ADD ANOTHER EMAIL ADDRESS.
4. Then click SUBMIT to send the invoice.