- What Are Information Requests
- How to See Which Clients Have Open/Unread Requests
- Creating New Info Requests
- Attaching Files to Requests
- Managing Info Requests
- Sorting the Requests List
- Editing the Request
- Deleting the Request
- Viewing the Request
- Downloading Documents
- Resolving the Request
- Reopening the Request
What Are Information Requests
When you are preparing documents for your clients, you will probably have some additional questions for them. Sometimes, you may want to use email. The problem with email is that it is not secure and that the information is not easily transferred to other staff members without cluttering everyone's inboxes. What if you could organize your questions for the client by creating a mini chat thread to discuss an issue and facilitating an open line of communication between yourself, the client, and any relevant staff on your team?
Here’s how it works:
- You ask the client a question, or ask them to provide you with a file or piece of information that you need in order to proceed with your engagement. Files can be attached to the request, if you need a client to take action on them.
- The client receives a notification that a question is pending and then answers the request and/or uploads the required files.
- Once you’ve received the information you need, you mark the request as resolved.
All messages and files regarding the information requests are stored in one place. They are available to all of the team members assigned to the client.
How to See Which Clients Have Open or Unread Requests
You can easily filter your client list to see which clients have open questions and which haven't read their requests yet. To do so:
- Go to Clients, then click the Filter button
- Select In Progress in the Requests section, then click Apply filter.
You will see the list of all pending requests. The requests that are still unread by a client.
Creating New Info Requests
To create a new information request,
- Click the +NEW button on the Sidebar, select Request, then select the client from the list. You can see the five most recent clients here. If there is no client you are searching for among them, start typing their name, ID or email. You can also change the client’s name right in the request creation window.
2. Name the request (i.e. subject) and add a message to further explain your question.
3. By default, the request applies to the current year. However, you may change the tax year to which the request applies.
4. Click Upload file to add any relevant documents. See below for the details.
5. Turn on a reminder to send email to a client if they do not respond to info request, then configure it:
- Inactivity Threshold days - Remind client after [ ] days of inactivity. By default, reminder is sent 3 days after request is created.
- Limit to - Send up to desired number of reminders. By default, client gets only 1 reminder email.
6. Click Save to send the request to the client.
7. The client automatically receives an email informing them that a question is pending.
Attaching Files to Requests
Your requests may contain related files. You can add the files from your computer or attach files that have been previously uploaded to TaxDome for the selected client. You can add files while creating a request or anytime later.
Simply click Upload File button, then select your preferred option:
- Attaching Files from TaxDome - Click Upload File > From TaxDome to select file from Docs > We Prepared section. Navigate to the desired year and folder, click the file name (s), then click Close.
- Uploading Files from Your Computer - Click Upload File > From My Computer,then click the Upload documents button and locate the file you wish to upload. Proceed with uploading like described here.
- Uploading Whole Folders - Click Upload File > From My Computer, then click the Upload folder button and select the desired folder. Proceed with uploading like described here.
- Uploading Zip Archives - Click Upload File > From My Computer, then click the Upload documents button and locate the compressed file you wish to upload. We'll unpack it automatically. Read more on this here.
Files uploaded to info requests are saved to Documents - We Prepared section.
Managing Info Requests
To access and manage the info requests related to a client, go to Clients, click the client name in the list, then click the Requests tab. All requests are divided into In Progress and Resolved. The requests marked as In Progress are the ones that still require the information from the client.
The following info is available on the Requests tab:
- Number – The number of the request in the system.
- Title – The info request title provided during the creation.
- Tax Year – The Tax Year to which the request applies.
- Date created – The date the request was added.
- Requester – The name of the team member that created the request.
- Last response – The date/time of the last response to the request.
- Responded by – The author of the last response.
You can also see if the client has unread or pending requests in the clients list. Simply click the Unread or In Progress icons to jump to the Requests tab of the selected client.
Sorting the Requests List
Sometimes, it is handy to sort the requests list in order to easily find the right one. You can sort the list by tax year, date created or last response. Click the arrow icon next to the appropriate row to sort the list.
Editing the Request
To edit the request, click the ellipsis icon, then click Edit. You can change the title, description, or tax year and upload more files or delete the existing ones.
You can't edit an info request after the client has responded to it. Afterwards, you can only reply to it and mark it as resolved.
Deleting the Request
You can delete an info request only when the client has not responded to it yet. Afterwards, you can only reply to it and mark it as resolved.
To remove an unanswered request from the system:
- Click the ellipsis icon, then click Delete.
2. Click the Yes, delete button in the Info Request Delete Confirmation pop-up.
Viewing the Request
To view the client’s response and answer the request, click the eye icon. Here you can:
- Communicate with the client by typing in the message field. Click the Send button to save your message.
- View or download client uploaded files
- View, download or delete firm uploaded files
- Add more files.
You can easily download any files that have been uploaded to the info request by the firm or by the client.
To download a file to your computer or device,
- Click the download icon.
2. If prompted, choose where you would like to save the file, then click Save.
3. When the download finishes, you will usually see it appear at the bottom of your browser window. Click on the file name to open the downloaded document (please see How to specify where files are downloaded).
Resolving the Request
Once you’ve gotten all of the necessary information from the client, you can mark the request as resolved. To do so:
- While viewing the request, click the This Info Request is Resolved button.
- While viewing the requests list, click the ellipsis icon, then click Resolve, and click Yes in Info Request Manual Resolve pop-up.
Once the request is resolved, it is moved from the Pending to the Resolved tab.
Reopening the Request
If you have resolved the request but later discovered that not all of the necessary information was provided or if you resolved the request by a mistake, you can reopen it.
- Go to the Requests > Resolved tab.
- Click the eye icon to view the request.
- Click Reopen.