When you are preparing documents for your clients, it is likely that you will have additional questions arise for them. Occasionally you might choose to use email. However email is not secure and information in it is not readily transferred to other staff members without cluttering up everyone's inboxes. That’s why we’ve made it possible for you to organize your questions for the client by creating a mini chat thread to discuss an issue and to facilitate an open line of communication between you, the client, and any other relevant staff on your team.
- What Are Information Requests
- Creating a New Information Request
- Attaching a File to a Request
- Setting Up a Reminder
- Changing a Client's Name During Creating a Request
What Are Information Requests
How information requests work:
- You ask the client a question, or ask them to provide you with a file or piece of information that you need in order to proceed with your engagement. Files can be attached to the request should you need a client to take action on them.
- The client receives a notification that a question is pending and then answers the request and/or uploads the required files.
- Once you’ve received the information you need, you mark the request as resolved.
All messages and files pertaining to the information requests are stored in one place. They are available to all of the team members assigned to the client.
Creating a New Information Request
To create a new information request:
- Click the +NEW button on the Sidebar, select Request, then select the client from the list. You can see the five most recent clients here. If you cannot find the client you are searching for among them, start typing their name, ID or email.
Please note: If the request you’re creating is for a different client than the one you originally chose, you can always specify another in the New Info Request window that follows (See how).
2. Name the request (i.e. subject) and add a message to further explain your question.
3. By default, the request applies to the current year; however, you may change it to the tax year to which the request applies.
4. Click on UPLOAD FILE to add any relevant documents. See below for details.
5. Turn on a reminder to send an email to a client if they do not respond to info request.
6. Click on Save to send the request to the client.
7. The client automatically receives an email informing them that a question is pending.
Attaching a File to a Request
Your requests may contain related files. You can add the files from your computer or attach files that have been previously uploaded to TaxDome. You can add files while creating a request or at any later time.
Simply click the Upload File button, then select your preferred option:
- Attaching Files from TaxDome - Click on Upload File, then From TaxDome to select a file from Docs under the We Prepared subsection. Navigate to the desired year and folder, click on the file name (s), then click CLOSE.
- Uploading Files from Your Computer - Click on Upload File, then on the From My Computer subsection, then click on the Upload documents button and locate the file you wish to upload. Proceed with uploading as described here.
- Uploading Whole Folders - Click on Upload File, then on the From My Computer subsection, then click on the Upload folder button and select the desired folder. Proceed with uploading as described here.
- Uploading Zip Archives - Click on Upload File, then on the From My Computer subsection, then click on the Upload documents button and locate the compressed file you wish to upload. We'll unpack it automatically. Read more on this here.
Files uploaded to info requests are saved to the Documents - We Prepared section.
Changing a Client's Name During Creating a Request
Usually, you select the client's name before creating a request. However, sometimes it is the reverse:
If you clicked +NEW button and then selected Request while inside a client’s profile, you probably are looking to create a request for that particular client. That’s why the next step will be creating the request without the client-selection option.
If you mistakenly selected the wrong client.
You can still choose another client’s name once the New Info Request pop-up comes up:
1. Click the client's name at the top of the window. You’ll see a list containing your five most recent clients. If the one you are looking for does not appear there, type their name, ID, or email into the search field.
2. Click the CHANGE CLIENT button.
Please note: Changing a client's name will clear all fields. You will need to type your message and attach files to your request again.
Setting Up a Reminder
While creating an information request, you can switch on a reminder. which will send an email to a client if they fail to respond to your information request. Here's how you can configure it:
- Inactivity Threshold days - Remind client after [ ] days of inactivity. By default, a reminder is sent 3 days after a request is created.
- Limit to - Send up to the desired number of reminders. By default, a client gets only 1 reminder email.
Reminders stop when either:
- the client has not responded to the request, and the number of reminders set has been exhausted;
- the client has responded to the request; or
- you resolved the request.
Note that if you resolve a request, and then reopen it again - then the reminders will act as if it's a new request.