By Mary Cooper
updated about 12 hours ago
To save time and streamline, firms specializing in tax preparation often use digital organizers to obtain basic and necessary information from their clients. An organizer resembles a questionnaire, a series of fields to be filled out. TaxDome organizers also allow you to request the client account to upload documents in specified sections. Organizers help the preparer get all the important facts and documents they need in one place and keep the client account from having a lot of back-and-forth with the firm.
On TaxDome, you can create as many custom organizers as you want in order to cover different needs: an onboarding organizer, a personal tax organizer, a business organizer, an expat organizer, a construction firm organizer.… , You can promise your clients an excellent user experience by providing them with questions and requests catered to their specific situations. You can do send your organizers to accounts either manually or via pipeline automation.
- Creating an Organizer Template
- Creating an Organizer for an Account
- What Your Account Sees When You Send an Organizer
- How Do I Know That an Account Has Completed an Organizer?
- Managing Client Account Organizers
- Printing an Organizer
- Adding Default Organizer from Our Library
- Editing an Organizer Template
- Duplicating an Organizer Template
- Deleting an Organizer Template
Creating an Organizer Template
Organizer templates can be created by a firm owner or by any team member who has been granted access rights. It’s helpful to design templates in advance so that you have them ready to go and to further customize when necessary for a client.
To create an organizer template:
1. Go to Settings in the left sidebar, choose Templates in the menu bar, then select Organizers and click the CREATE TEMPLATE button.
2. An organizer consists of sections and questions. Each question belongs to one section. To begin, click on the Organizer Name field and enter what you would like to call it.
3. Click on Section Name, then enter a heading for the first section (for example, if you are creating a standard organizer/form, you can call it “Basic”). Next, click on Add question and select the question type or request, choosing any of the following from the pull-down menu:
- Free entry: used to collect any information that requires the client account to type in text, such as their name, address, or company name.
- Number: used for numeric information, such as number of children or an SSN.
- Date: used for a day, month, and year, such as date of birth.
- Multiple choice: used for a list of options, such as company type (nonprofit, llc, etc.).
- Checkboxes: used for a list with checkboxes that can be left empty or checked.
- Yes/No: used for a yes/no answer, such as an account’s marital status.
- Documents upload: used for the account to provide a specific document.
4. If an answer to a question is mandatory, turn on the Required toggle.
5. Add as many questions and sections as you need, then click the SAVE button.
Creating an Organizer for an Account
Once you have an organizer template, you can send an organizer to a client account.You can do it either manually or via pipeline automation.
To send an organizer manually:
1. Click the + NEW button on the left sidebar, select Organizer, then find the client account you want to send the organizer to. You’ll see your five most recent clients in a list. If the client account you are looking for is not there, type their name, ID, or email address into the search field.
2. Click the Organizer Template list to select a template, then click CREATE to send the organizer to the account.
The account will automatically receive an email notifying them that an organizer has been sent to fill out.
What Your Account Sees When You Send an Organizer
Your account can fill out an organizer you've sent either by going to Organizers section of their portal or by clicking the link in the email notification.
You can access Read-Only View of Client Account Portal to experience TaxDome from the account’s side.
How Do I Know That an Account Has Completed an Organizer?
Once your client account has completed the organizer, you'll receive a notification by email. You will also get a notification in your Inbox+. Click the organizer's name or Go to... link to view it.
Managing Account Organizers
To manage all account’s organizers, go to Clients, click the client account, and then go to the Organizers tab. If there are no organizers there, you have not yet sent one to that account.
Once an account has received an organizer, the following information will be available to you:
NAME: What the organizer is called.
LAST UPDATED: The date/time the organizer was created or last updated by the account. All changes made by the client are saved in real time.
- STATUS: If the account hasn’t started answering questions (filling in the fields and uploading documents) or has begun but not finished, the status of the organizer will be PENDING. If the account has submitted the organizer, the status will be FINISHED.
Click on the name of the organizer to view all of the information provided by the account. For your convenience, answers from the client will be displayed on one page. You’ll be able to see all the questions and answers in a section at one time. To see the questions and answers of another section, click on that section’s name. All the questions that have been answered will be noted with a green checkmark.
You can delete an account’s organizer if you don’t need it anymore or have sent the client an updated version. To do so, click the delete icon to the far right of the organizer’s name, then click the DELETE button. This will not affect the organizer template used to make the account’s organizer.
Printing an Organizer
You can easily print any organizer (either pending or completed). Click on the name of the organizer to open it, then click on the Print button.
Adding Default Organizer from Our Library
For your convenience, we offer default organizer templates which you can easily edit. To add an organizer from our library:
1. Go to Settings in the left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, then select Organizers and click the COPY FROM LIBRARY button.
2. Click the copy icon next to the template you want to add. Now you can edit the organizer by clicking on its name.
Thanks to our customers, we are constantly adding new templates to our library. Do you want to share your organizers with other TaxDome users, too? Please contact us.
Editing an Organizer Template
To make changes to an organizer template (either created by you or the default one), follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings in your left sidebar, select Templates in the menu bar, then go to Organizers and click on the organizer template name in the list.
2. Make changes to the organizer template, then click the SAVE button. You can move or delete questions and sections using the icons to the far right of the section name or question.
Note: The changes you make to an organizer template are not reflected in the organizers that have already been created with that template.
Duplicating an Organizer Template
You can create new organizer templates based on existing ones (either created by you or the ones that have been copied from our library). To do so, click the three dots icon to the far right of the organizer's template name, then select Duplicate link. The organizer's copy will be saved with the appropriate suffix (i.e. Organizer (2)).
Deleting an Organizer Template
You can remove an organizer template if you don’t need it anymore. To do so, click the three dots icon to the far right of the organizer's template name, select Delete link, then click the DELETE button. All organizers created for your client accounts with that template will still be kept.