Building Your Site
By Mary Cooper
updated 9 days ago
If you’ve thought about building a landing but have been putting it off because the technical stuff is too daunting, then creating one on TaxDome might be a good option for you. By using our built-in website editor, you can create your own customized site and set it live, no programming or technical skills required.
- Selecting a Template
- Creating Pages
- Adding Content to Your Page
- Editing Element Properties
- Editing Copy
- Managing Elements
- Creating Links
- Customizing SEO Settings
- Saving And Publishing Your Site
- Getting Help With Landing Setup From Our Team
Selecting a Template
Building a landing from scratch can be time-consuming, so we’ve done the bulk of the work for you. All that is left for you to do is make some preferential choices. First, you select a template, then you customize it into how you’d like it to appear.
1. Go to Settings, then select the Site tab.
2. Browse the template categories to find the template that most appeals to you. To see what your site would look like, hover the mouse over the template thumbnail, then click Preview. To apply a template, hover the mouse over the template thumbnail, and then click Select.
Once your template has loaded, you can start customizing it right in the editor window.
You can add extra pages to your site. To do so:
Go to the HOME button in the upper right corner of the page, click the downward arrow on the right so that the drop-down menu appears, then click Edit.
Click the New Item link, then enter the item name and specify the item type by selecting Page or Link.
Enter its properties, then click Apply.
Don't forget to add link to your portal -- /app
Add an app page link (i.e., yourfirm.taxdome.com/app) to your site menu. This way your clients will be able to access your TaxDome portal. The app page will redirect your clients either to login page or, if there is an active session, immediately to the client account portal (i.e., to yourfirm.taxdome.com/app/dashboard).
Once a page or link is created, you can specify whether you want it to show up in the site menu or not. Also, you can define the order of the pages in the menu by dragging and dropping the items.
Adding Content to Your Page
There are two ways to build your page which could be easily combined or used separately:
- you can use single elements like buttons, links, shapes, and images. These also include interactive elements like Google Maps, social icons, galleries, embed videos, and so on. To choose elements for your page, drag and drop the appropriate toolbar button to the desired position.
- you can add blocks to speed up the process of prototyping and page building. A page block is a pre-designed block of content that is used for a certain section, e.g., Testimonials, About Us, Services, etc. Page block consists of images, buttons, links and other elements, that can be easily edited or deleted. Thus, you retain 100% design control, but you don't have to build from scratch. To add a page block, click the Blocks button, select a category from the list, select the block design that most appeals to you, then click Add.
Editing Element Properties
Every element added to your page has properties that can be edited. To access them, click the element. Its properties will be displayed on the panel at the right. The available properties depend on the object type.
Editing copy in the website builder is straightforward. To edit any text element, double-click on the text box in the preview screen. Once you have finished writing your copy, click the Done button or anywhere outside the text box.
You can adjust the spacing of elements on a page. To increase or decrease the spacing, point over the edge of the element, then drag it.
To lock the element position, hover the mouse over the element, right-click, then select Lock from the drop-down menu. Once the element is locked, it won’t budge. To allow moving it again, return to the drop-down menu and select Unlock.
To duplicate an element, hover the mouse over it, right-click, then select Duplicate from the drop-down menu. The element will appear below the original one.If you would like to paste a copy somewhere else, you can use Copy and Paste Element commands instead.
Page elements can be deleted. Hover the mouse over the element, right-click, then select Remove.
You can also hide a specific element on different devices Hover the mouse over the element, right-click, select Visibility, then select the device type.
Anything on a page can have a clickable link that will bring you to another page:
Click the element, then select Link on the panel at the right.
Click the edit icon next to the URL, specify the link properties, then click Apply.
Customizing SEO Settings
Using our builder, you can customize titles, descriptions, and keywords for your website. Click the downward arrow to the right of the gear icon in the upper right corner of the page, then select SEO from the pull-down menu. Click Default (for all pages) at the left to fill in the website info, then click Apply. You can also select the site pages one by one and fill in their titles, descriptions, and keywords when needed.
See How to Improve Your Website Visibility on Search Engines article to find out more about search engine optimization techniques.
Saving And Publishing Your Site
To save your changes, hover the mouse over Publish button, then select Save Draft.
Once you finished working on your site, you may preview it. Click the Preview button to see how it will look like on the different screens. Click Close to exit the preview mode.
If you’re satisfied with a result, click Publish.
Once the site is published it can be accessed by navigating to your firm's TaxDome URL.