You can set up a custom domain (URL) to your TaxDome client portal. It involves a three-step process:
- Buy the desired domain name.
- Add a CNAME record to your DNS (Domain Name Servers), wherever your domain is managed.
- Add your domain to your TaxDome account.
Buying a Domain Name
Domain registration is now fairly simple.
- Select your desired website address. Check domain-name availability to pick your best option. (For more details on this process, see our help article How to Pick a Domain Name that Stands for Your Brand.)
- Choose a domain registrar (godaddy.com, namecheap.com, gandi.net, and domain.com come well recommended) and register your desired domain with it.
Adding a CNAME Record to Your Registrar DNS
A CNAME record (also known as a canonical name) is usually added from your domain registrar dashboard.
On your DNS management page, find the DNS records section, create a new CNAME record, point it to your TaxDome firm URL (yourfirmname.taxdome.com), then save the changes. The screenshot below shows the process.
Depending on your registrar’s dashboard features, you may be prompted to enter your subdomain. The screenshot below shows an example of the DNS management page with a subdomain field. Make sure you leave it empty.
It can take as many as 24 to 48 hours for the CNAME record to get updated. Most of the time it doesn’t take that long. On average, you will have to wait about 1 hour.
Adding Your Domain to Your TaxDome Account
Navigate to Settings, enter your custom domain under the Custom Domains section on the Firm Profile tab, and then click Verify. Our system will verify that the domain is set up correctly, and then we will issue an SSL certificate.
You can monitor the domain verification process by exploring the status next to it:
- Unverified: The domain is currently being checked by our system.
- Verified: The domain CNAME record was successfully verified, and we are issuing an SSL certificate.
Once your custom domain has been added for your TaxDome portal, you, your team, and your clients can access the portal at your added URL.
Removing Your Domain
All domains that have been successfully added for your TaxDome portal have a cross icon next to them. Click this icon to remove your domain, then confirm.