- Buying a Domain Name
- Adding a CNAME Record to Your Registrar DNS
- Adding Your Domain/Subdomain to Your TaxDome Account
- Removing Your Domain
If you own a website - say sampletaxfirm.com - your firm and your clients can see that in the address bar instead of taxdome.com. Setting up a custom domain (URL) to your TaxDome client portal involves a three-step process: buying the desired domain name (in case if you haven't got the one yet), adding a CNAME record to your DNS (Domain Name Servers), wherever your domain is managed, and lastly, adding your domain to your TaxDome account.
With this feature, you can also set up a custom subdomain to your TaxDome client portal, e.g. portal.yourfirmurl.com. In this case, you will still have your main website URL where it is, and your subdomain will be pointing to your TaxDome client portal.
Please see below for the details.
Buying a Domain Name
Domain registration is now fairly simple.
- Select your desired website address. Check domain-name availability to pick your best option. (For more details on this process, see our help article How to Pick a Domain Name that Stands for Your Brand.)
- Choose a domain registrar (godaddy.com, namecheap.com, gandi.net, and domain.com come well recommended) and register your desired domain with it.
Adding a CNAME Record to Your Registrar DNS
A CNAME record (also known as a canonical name) is usually added from your domain registrar dashboard.
On your DNS management page, find the DNS records section, create a new CNAME record, point it to your TaxDome firm URL (e.g. yourfirmname.taxdome.com), then save the changes. Please check that the following fields are filled in correctly:
- Record Type - CNAME
- Host or Name - your subdomain. If you want to add your main website URL, leave this field empty. However, if you want to add your subdomain (aka portal.yourfirmurl.com), enter the subdomain name (e.g. portal) here.
- Points to or Value - your TaxDome firm URL (e.g. yourfirmname.taxdome.com)
The example below shows the DNS settings for the other domain registrar's dashboard.
Please note that a recent change with how GoDaddy handles new DNS record values automatically adds your domain, resulting in an CNAME record with too much information. Thus, don't fill in the Host field with your main website URL. The screenshot below shows both the correct and incorrect examples.
It can take as many as 24 to 48 hours for the CNAME record to get updated. Most of the time it doesn’t take that long. On average, you will have to wait about 1 hour.
Adding Your Domain/Subdomain to Your TaxDome Account
Navigate to Settings, enter your custom domain/subdomain under the Custom Domains section on the Firm Profile tab, and then click Verify. Our system will verify that the domain/subdomain is set up correctly, and then we will issue an SSL certificate.
You can monitor the domain verification process by exploring the status next to it:
- We're checking if your CNAME is set up correctly.
- Your CNAME is set up correctly, we're issuing the SSL certificate.
- All Good - the SSL certificate is ready.
Once your custom domain/subdomain has been added for your TaxDome portal, you, your team, and your clients can access the portal at your added URL.
Removing Your Domain
All domains that have been successfully added for your TaxDome portal have a cross icon next to them. Click this icon to remove your domain, then confirm.