Here's what is covered in this article:
- Firm Prepared Documents Overview
- Previewing Documents
- Viewing Document History (File Audit Trail)
- Downloading Documents
- Deleting Documents
- Editing Documents
- Searching for Documents
- Filtering Documents
Firm Prepared Documents Overview
All files that a firm has prepared for a client are stored under the Docs > We Prepared subtab of the client's profile.
The following information for each file is available:
- Name - The title of the document. The file type will be displayed as an icon next to the title.
- Date - The date the document was uploaded. Documents are grouped by year.
- Uploaded by - The name of the team member who uploaded the file.
- Description - An optional description. A description may be added by the accountant when uploading the file to the system.
- Status - Helps in document management. If the document is Pending Approvalthe status is shown in brown, the docs in the Approved status have the green color, the Disapproved ones are red. The docs that are Pending Payment are grey.
You can easily preview the files prepared by the firm with the built-in document viewer.
Simply click on the document name or the eye icon to open the viewer. While previewing the file you may delete it, download it, move to another folder, or view document history.
Click Close to return to the list of files.
Viewing Documents History (File Audit Trail)
You can always see the events that have taken place with your uploaded files. Audit log makes it easy to find out when the user has uploaded, viewed, downloaded, signed, renamed, approved, or disapproved a document. It can also tell you if they opted out of electronic signature.
To access a document’s history, click on the ellipsis icon, then click Audit Trail.
You can also access the Audit Trail link from the document viewer.
The following info is available here:
- ACCOUNT NAME. The organization name (for non-personal accounts).
- USER. The first name, last name, and email of any user that has accessed the file.
- EVENT. The event that took place with a file.
- SERVER TIME. The system time that the event took place. The time is shown in UTC.
- CLIENT TIME. The user’s time that the event took place. Time difference between UTC and user's location is displayed for your convenience.
- IP ADDRESS. The IP address of the user who accessed the file. You can also see user's city and country here.
- BROWSER. The Browser in which the event took place.
You can also download files prepared by the firm.
- To download a file to your computer or device, click on the download icon.
You may also access the Download link from the document viewer.
2. If prompted, choose where you would like to save the file, then click Save.
3. When the download finishes, you will usually see it appear at the bottom of your browser window. Click on the file name to open the downloaded document (please see How to specify where files are downloaded).
To remove a document from the system,
- Click on the ellipsis icon, then click Delete
You may also access the Delete link from the document viewer.
2. Click the Delete button in the File Delete Confirmation pop-up. If the document is tied to a bill you will also be able to see the bill information. You may click on the bill number if you wish to edit it.
To make any changes to the document, click on the ellipsis icon, then click Edit.
You may change the file name, description, tax year, etc. It is also possible to change which bill the document is locked to. Each document can only be locked to one bill, but a bill may have several documents locked to it.
To change the bill a document it locked to, click on the Change link next to the bill info, then select the bill you wish to lock the document to and click Save.
Searching for Documents
To search for a document, type all or part of the document’s title into the Search field, then click Enter.
The document list will be narrowed in accordance with the specified parameters.
Note that you can also search for documents from the Sidebar. This is useful when you're not in the client profile. Sidebar search will work anywhere in the system. Therefore, you can quickly find documents from any client.
Filters are useful when you need to see only the documents that meet a specific criteria. For example, you may need to quickly find all the PDF files uploaded in 2017.
To filter your list of documents,
- Click on the Filter button.
2. Filter by Year Uploaded or File Type. You may apply all the filters available or just a few.
3. Click Apply filter.
The list of documents will be narrowed in accordance with the specified parameters.