Working With Folders
By Mary Cooper
updated 1 day ago
Folders for each tax year are automatically created when you select a year while uploading a document. To help you further manage your documents, TaxDome lets you create additional folders within each annual folder. They will assist you in organizing and filtering your firm-prepared documents, internal documents, and any source files sent to you by your client accounts.
- Creating a Folder
- Changing a Client Account When Creating a Folder
- Moving Files and Folders
- Renaming a Folder
- Searching for a Folder
- Deleting a Folder
Creating a Folder
Folders can be created on TaxDome any one of four ways:
In a tree view while uploading documents
By clicking the +New button on the left sidebar.
In the pop-up, while editing documents.
In a Docs tab, using the three dots icon
Creating a Folder in a Tree View
You can create a folder in a tree view while uploading your documents. To do so:
1. Locate the year for which you would like to create a folder or a folder for which you would like to create a subfolder, click the three dots icon to the right it, then click New Folder.
2. Enter a name for the folder, then press Enter key.
Creating a Folder Using the +NEW Button
To create a folder, follow these steps:
- Click the + NEW button on your sidebar, go to Folder, then select the client account. A pop-up window will appear with a list of your five most recent clients. If the client account you are looking for doesn’t appear here, type their name, ID, or email into the search field, then select the person or organization.
Note: If the folder you’re creating is for a different client account than the one you first selected, you can always switch to another in the Create folder window that follows (See how here).
2. In the Create Folder window, choose any one of three locations in the Select Folder Destination section:
Public: The folder will be visible to the client account here.
Private: This is where you can store internal-only folders; anything placed here is not visible to the client account.
Client’s Docs: When you place a folder here, it is the same as the client performing the action—however, you are doing it for them.
3. Enter a name for the folder, then select the year (Unsorted is set as the default). You can also add year by clicking the Add Year
4. Click the CREATE button.
You can now browse to the created folder and upload files to it.
Creating a Folder While Editing Documents
To create a folder while editing documents:
1. In the Edit Document window, select the year for the folder you wish to create.
2. Click on Folder Name, then go to Create a New Folder.
3. Enter a name for the folder, then click the CREATE button.
4. Click the SAVE button.
Creating a Folder from Docs
To create a folder while browsing your client account's documents:
1. In any of the subtabs under the Docs tab, locate the year for which you would like to create a folder.
2. Click the three dots icon, then click New Folder.
3. Enter a name for the folder, then click Create.
Please note: You can also create a subfolder in any folder the same way.
Usually, you select the client account before creating a folder. However, you can always do it the other way around:
If you clicked +NEW button and then selected Folder from inside an account’s profile, it’s likely you were creating a folder for that client.
However, if it isn’t the right client account, you can still switch to another.
To change the client account, choose another when the Create folder pop-up comes up. Click on the client account at the top of the window. You’ll see a list containing your five most recent clients. If the one you are looking for does not appear here, type their name, ID, or email into the search field.
Select the proper client account, then click the CREATE button.
Moving Files and Folders
To move files as well as folders already stored on TaxDome into folders, follow these steps:
1. Go to Clients, then click on the name of the client account. Inside the Docs tab, open the Private, Public, or Client's Docs subtab.
2. Select the checkbox next to the document(s) and/or folder(s) you want to move, then click the Move Selected button. To select all items, select the checkbox at the top of the table.
3. Navigate to the folder you wish to move and then click the MOVE button.
You can also access the Move link from the document viewer.
Renaming a Folder
You can rename any folder:
1. Click the three dots icon to the right of the folder you want to move, then click Rename.
2. Enter the folder’s new name, and then click RENAME.
Searching for a Folder
To search for a folder, type all or part of the folder’s name into the search field, then click Enter.
The document list will be narrowed to your specified parameters. Click the cross icon in the Search field to clear the search.
Deleting a Folder
To remove a folder from TaxDome:
1. Select the checkbox next to the folder(s) you want to remove, then click the DELETE SELECTED button.
2. Check the list of folders that will be deleted, then click the DELETE button in the Document Delete Confirmation pop-up.
Warning: All of the files in a folder will be deleted when you delete a folder.