Tags (Basic): Apply & Ways to Use
This page is for TaxDome Pro users only. If you use TaxDome Lite, please switch to this article.
A tag is a label that can be used for grouping or finding your client accounts, contacts, time entries and tasks. Here, you'll learn about the ways you can apply tags either manually or via pipeline automations throughout the system.
- Ways to apply tags to accounts
- Tags in contacts
- Tags in time entries
- Tags in tasks
- How do I know where the specific tags are used
- Customizing tags list
- Ways to filter with tags
Ways to apply tags to accounts
While using tags is not limited to accounts in TaxDome, this is where you can get of them most. Tags can allow you and your team to differentiate your clients based on location, a service you provide to them, or even quickly determine if you need to file an extension for them without searching through each client’s record.
Below, read about different ways of applying tags to the accounts:
- In bulk
- During import
- Inside client account
- From a job card
- Depending on organizer answers
- In pipelines
You can see all tags applied under the Info tab of each client's account or in the Accounts list. If a client account has been given several tags, only the first is visible in the list. Hover your mouse over the bubble showing the number of tags to see the other ones.
Applying tags to accounts in bulk
When you need to apply tags to multiple client accounts, bulk-tag them rather than applying one tag at a time to get the job done faster:
1. Go to Clients, then select the checkboxes next to the client accounts you want to tag. To select all clients, click the uppermost checkbox.
2. Click on the Manage Tags button.
3. You’ll see a list with all your tags. For each tag, select one option:
- Do nothing: The tag won’t be assigned to the account. If an account already has a tag, it will remain.
- Assign to all: The tag will be assigned to all selected accounts.
- Remove from all: If any of the selected accounts have a tag, it will be removed.
4. Click Assign Tags.
Applying tags to accounts during import
Importing client accounts gives you two options regarding tagging:
- Include tags to your spreadsheet and they will be created and applied to the appropriate accounts.
- Apply existing tags during import (this way, you will be able to apply the same tags to all imported clients).
Apply tags added to a spreadsheet
This method is a huge time-saver as you don't need to create tags in TaxDome beforehand. Also, you can apply different tags to different accounts.
1. While preparing a CSV file for importing, add columns with necessary tags for clients and contacts (if any). Those tags you don't have yet, will be created automatically during import.
2. Start the import process. On the second step of importing (map accounts) select Map to property in the Action dropdown and Tags in the Account field for your account tags.
That's it! When the import is completed, you will have your tags created and applied to accounts.
Apply existing tags during the import
If you don't want to add tags to your spreadsheet, you still can apply tags while you import. To do so:
Start the import process. On the third step of importing (settings), select the tags you want to apply to the accounts you are moving to TaxDome.
Note! The tags you select will be applied to all imported accounts, so if you want to use different tags for different accounts, you’ll have to prepare separate spreadsheets for each set of tags.
Applying tags inside client account
You can apply a tag to an account while creating it or at a later point. To assign one or more tags to an account, follow these steps:
- Go to Clients, open the client account profile, select Info in the menu bar, then click on the Edit button. You’ll see all tags applied to the account under the Tags.
- Click on Tags to open the drop-down with available tags. Pick as many as needed, click on the Continue button and then click Save.
Tags in contacts
Tags in time entries
To see all tags assigned to your time entries, go to Invoices, then open the Time Entries tab.
Tags in tasks
You’ll be able to view all assigned tags in your Tasks list. If a task has more than one tag, only the first is visible in the list. Hover your mouse over the bubble showing the number of tags to see the other tags.
How do I know where the specific tags are used
For a clear overview of where tags are used, go to the Tags tab located in the Settings section.
Description of the available columns:
- Accounts. Shows the number of accounts with a particular tag.
- Archived accounts. Displays the number of archived accounts with a particular tag.
- Pending tasks. Indicates the number of pending tasks with a particular tag.
- Completed tasks. Shows the number of completed tasks with a particular tag.
- Pipelines. Displays the number of pipelines that have conditions with a particular tag
To view entities with a specific tag, click on the light-blue number within any column.
Customizing tags list
You have the flexibility to adjust the table columns as per your preference. Сlick the gear icon located in the top right corner of the table:
- Drag and drop column names to rearrange their order.
- Check or uncheck the box next to a column name to toggle its display.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
Ways to filter with tags
Tags come in handy when you need to look for specific kinds of clients, contacts or tasks. For example, you quickly want to find all clients who need a Form 1040 or Form 5471 prepared. There are three ways to filter:
- Quickly filtering your account list by selecting a tag
- Filtering your account list by selecting or excluding tags
- Filtering your task list, time entries or contacts by selecting several tags or no tags
Quickly filtering your account list by selecting a tag
To filter by choosing a tag:
1. Go to Clients, then select the Accounts or Clients tab.
2. Click on any tag.
You’ll then see all client accounts and contacts with that tag.
Filtering your account list by selecting or excluding tags
If you want to filter your account list by choosing or excluding tags, click on the Filter button, select Is or Is not, then choose the tags. Here’s how it works:
- Is shows a list of accounts with the tags you selected (e.g., all tax clients)
- Is not show a list of accounts without the tags you selected (e.g., all clients that are not the bookkeping ones)
Read more on using filters in TaxDome in the article.
Filtering your task list, time entries or contacts by selecting several tags or no tags
If you want to filter your task list, time entries or contacts by choosing tags, follow these steps:
1. Click on the Filter button, then select the tags you want to see.
2. Click Apply.
The list will then be narrowed to ones only with the tags you’ve selected.
Note the following:
- In the Filter window, you’ll see a tag in the Tags pull-down only if it is applied to at least one of the entities.
- If you select two entities, the entities with either of those two tags will be displayed.
- If you need to find tasks, time entries or contacts with no tags, select the no tags option in the Tags pull-down of the Filter window.