IRS Integration (Advanced): Connect, Disconnect
Set up the direct IRS integration to securely access client tax returns and account information in a few clicks. Here, we will tell you how to connect your TaxDome portal to the IRS and how to manage connections.
- Before you start
- Connecting to the IRS
- Adding more organizations
- Editing connections
- Deleting connections
Before you start
- Make sure you have an IRS e-Services account and you meet the IRS requirements for requesting transcripts. For details on TDS, go to the IRS website.
- To request transcripts for a certain client, you will also need a Centralized Authorization File (CAF) number, and you must have authorization through Form 2848, Power of Attorney or Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization.
Connecting to the IRS
Only a firm owner can set up the IRS integration by following these steps:
1. From your Settings page, go to the Integrations tab and select the IRS subtab. Then click Connect to open the Connect to IRS sidebar with the step-by-step connection wizard.
2. Select the Open link to access the IRS login page in a new window. It's a good idea to place two windows (TaxDome and the IRS) side by side because you will need to switch between them.
3. On the IRS page, click the green Sign in button, then enter your IRS credentials and click Sign in again.
4. Select how you want to receive the authentication code and click Continue. Next, enter your code and click Continue again.
5. Go back to TaxDome and click Continue at the bottom of the sidebar to get to the Organization step of the setup wizard.
In the Organization Roles section of the IRS page, find the organization you will use for requesting transcripts, copy its name and paste it to the Organization name field on TaxDome. Make sure it matches the organization name from the IRS website exactly.
6. Click Select to the left of the organization name on the IRS website, then click Setup in the A2A Setup section.
7. Go back to TaxDome and click Continue at the bottom of the sidebar to get to the A2A Client ID step of the setup wizard.
Then copy your A2A Client ID from the top of the TaxDome sidebar and paste it to the A2A Client ID field of the IRS website page.
8. Select PROD from the A2A Environment drop-down and hit Grant Access. You will see the page with your Full User ID.
9. Go back to TaxDome and click Continue at the bottom of the sidebar to get to the Full User ID step of the setup wizard.
Then copy your Full User ID on the IRS page and paste it to the Full user ID on TaxDome.
10. Click Finish.
Adding more organizations
You can connect more organizations (companies) and use other IRS accounts, all with the same TaxDome firm, by clicking + Add button at the right of your screen.
All your connections will be listed as Organizations under the IRS subtab. This will let you request transcripts using different organizations with certain CAF numbers.
Only a firm owner can edit connections to the IRS. To do so:
1. Go to the IRS subtab of the Integrations tab on your Settings page, then click the Edit link in the field with the organization name. The Edit info sidebar will open.
Here you can edit:
- Organization name: the name of the legal entity connected to IRS
- Full user ID: the unique ID number assigned when you connect your organization to the IRS
2. To save your changes, click Save.
Only a firm owner can delete connections to the IRS. To do so:
1. Go to the IRS subtab of the Integrations tab on your Settings page, then click the Edit link in the field with the organization name.
2. Select the Delete link to the top right, then click Confirm.
Now, the connected organization is deleted from your TaxDome firm, but the transcripts you've already pulled will remain.