There are plenty of ways of uploading documents to TaxDome. You can upload them one by one, select several files from the same folder, upload all files from a folder, or add zip archives that will be automatically unpacked. There's also the option of using the TaxDome Windows App.
- Uploading Documents to TaxDome
- Uploading Multiple Files
- Uploading a Folder
- Uploading a Zip Archive
- Changing a Client's Name During Upload
Files can be uploaded to TaxDome in any one of three ways:
Clicking the +New button on the left sidebar.
Going to Clients, selecting the client’s name, navigating to the Docs tab, then opening the Client Uploaded, We Prepared, or Source Files subtab, where you can drag-and-drop.
Using the TaxDome Windows App.
Uploading Documents to TaxDome
Click +NEW on the left sidebar, select Document, find the name of the client whose document you are uploading. You’ll see a list containing your five most recent clients. If the one you are looking for does not appear there, type their name, ID, or email into the search field.
Please note: If the document you’ve selected is for a different client than the one you originally chose, you can always choose another one in the document uploading window that follows (see how here).
Click the Upload documents button, then locate the file on your computer and select it.
Permitted file types: PDF, MS Office, QuickBooks Desktop, images, and zip archive files. With all file types, the maximum upload size is 100 Mb.
You can also upload by going to Clients, choosing the client’s name, navigating to the Docs tab, then opening the Client Uploaded, We Prepared, or Source Files subtab, where you can drag-and-drop files.
2. Next, you need to choose the file’s destination:
Firm prepared document for client: Files here are visible to the client. They can be locked to bills (not available for download until paid for) and prompt approval from the client as well as verify their identity via e-signature.
Internal only file: Files here are not visible to the client. This is where you can safely store tax files or other internal team-only files.
Upload files on behalf of the client: Files here are in the Client uploaded section. In other words, placing documents in this location is the same as a client uploading something on their own; you are doing it instead of the client performing the task.
3. Select the tax year (the previous tax year will be the default). If a particular year does not appear in the list, it means the client has not yet submitted documents for that tax year. You can add the year by clicking on the Add Year link. You can also select the Unsorted option if you want to sort the documents afterward.
4. Edit the file name (optional) and add a description (of up to 150 characters) to give the client an idea of what the document includes.
5. Select the folder you wish to upload the document to or create a new folder. If no folder is selected, the document will automatically be saved to the main folder.
6. With Firm prepared document for client files, you can turn on Lock this document to an unpaid bill to ensure receiving payment for the work. When this option is enabled, the document will be visible to the client but not available for download until the bill for it has been paid. Once it has been, the document will automatically unlock.
7. With Firm prepared document for client files, you can also turn on Request client approval. Enabling this allows you to make sure the client is satisfied with your work (or whether they require you to make additional adjustments), and it verifies their identity via e-signature.
8. Click Upload to add the document to TaxDome.
Uploading Multiple Files
You can also add multiple documents in one shot to TaxDome:
1. Click the +NEW button on the left sidebar, select Document, then find the client the files are for. You will see a list containing your five most recent clients. If the client you are looking for does not appear there, type their name, ID, or email into the search field.
Please note: If the files you’ve selected are for a different client than the one you originally chose, you can always choose another one in the document uploading window (see how here).
1. Click the Upload documents button, then locate the files you want to upload from your computer:
To add several files from one folder, select them while holding down the control key on your keyboard.
To add files from another folder, click on the Upload documents button again.
You can also browse to Clients, select a client's name, go to the Docs tab, then open the We Prepared subtab, where you can drag-and-drop the files.
2. In the Select File Destination section, fill in all the necessary details and choose your settings (for more help, see 2. through 7. in Uploading Documents to TaxDome above).
3. Click Next File to begin adding the details and settings for the next file to be uploaded. You can also click on the file name in the list.
4. Once you have added all the necessary information about the files, click Upload All.
Uploading a Folder
To upload multiple files quickly, you can do an entire folder at once. To add all files from a folder, click +New in the left sidebar, go to Documents, find the client, click the Upload folder button, then choose the desired folder. In the Select File Destination section, fill in all the necessary details and choose your settings (for more help, see 2. through 7. in Uploading Documents to TaxDome above). The result of uploading a folder is the same as if you had uploaded all the files within it individually, so you can save lots of time this way.
With the TaxDome Windows app, you can also upload multiple folders at once (see Bulk Uploading).
Please note the following while uploading folders:
TaxDome processes all files in your selected folder as well as in all subfolders.
Permitted file types include images, PDFs, Word, Excel, and zip; all other file types will not upload.
After the upload, you will be able to provide the details for each file in your folder and subfolders.
Your original folder structure will not carry over. You will need to create folders in TaxDome to organize your files.
You cannot select several folders at once. If you need to upload files from several different folders, use the Upload Folder button for each one.
Uploading a Zip Archive
Another way to upload multiple files quickly is by selecting a zip archive that contains multiple documents. TaxDome allows zip files of up to 50 Mb. The result of uploading a zip archive is the same as if you had uploaded all the files inside it individually, so it’s a shortcut that can save you time.
Zip files are uploaded the same as other files. However, once a zip file is uploaded, TaxDome handles it differently:
The zip file is automatically unzipped.
Only images, PDFs, Word, and Excel files are recognized (other file types will not upload).
Folders inside the zip file will not upload. You will need to create folders in TaxDome to organize your files.
The original zip archive you uploaded is deleted.
You will be able to provide details for each unpacked file.
Changing a Client's Name During Upload
Usually, you select the client's name before selecting the files you are about to upload. However, sometimes it is the reverse:
If you clicked +NEW button and then selected Document while inside a client’s profile, you probably are looking to upload a document for that particular client. That’s why the next step will be uploading the document without the client-selection option.
If you mistakenly selected the wrong client.
You can still choose another client’s name once the Upload Document pop-up comes up:
1. Click the client's name at the top of the window. You’ll see a list containing your five most recent clients. If the one you are looking for does not appear there, type their name, ID, or email into the search field.
2. Click the CHANGE CLIENT button.
Please note: Changing a client's name will clear all fields. You will need to locate the files on your computer and select them again.