Tax Preparation: Initial TaxDome Setup
Greetings, Tax Preparer! We know that preparation for tax season is not an easy thing. Here you'll find a list of the most important features, settings and some advice for you and your colleagues. Get ready for a job with the help of our hints.
Tip! Do the general onboarding steps before you proceed so that you know the TaxDome basics.
Get Tax Preparation Pipelines
Goal: Set up the pipelines for tax preparation and create all the necessary content (emails, organizers, engagement letters, etc.) for automating your work procedures.
- Copy the “1040 - Individual Income Tax Return” template from our library. We have prepared a pipeline template with the most common stages in the Tax Return process. Review each step, see the beauty of the features and edit it to your needs. Remember that when you copy a pipeline, you also get all the templates that are used for its automations.
Heads-up! Always give your pipeline a try on a test account before adding real jobs for actual clients. You’ll be able to see if anything needs changing. It’s a great way to make sure you are 100 percent happy with it—and it also gives you a chance to catch any mistakes.
- Check out the other tax preparation pipelines. We've prepared a lot of pipelines for you to get started quickly. Go to Settings from the left sidebar, open the Pipelines tab, then click Copy from Library. Copy "1040 --- Get Ready for Tax Season Webinar Dec 1 2021" and "1065 - Partnership Income Tax Return" pipelines , then try them with your test client account.
Set Up TaxDome for Tax Preparation
Goal: To create custom tags, CRM fields, and client folders that will help you in your everyday work.
- Create tags based on the type of services you offer. For example Tax, 1040, 1065, 1120, Sales tax or Tax planning. You can immediately start applying them while you import. Later, they’ll come in handy to filter your accounts and to set up pipeline automations.
- Set up custom fields. Fill in your accounts and contacts with extra information. For example, company name for accounts or marital status for clients. You can use that info as shortcodes in messages, emails and other entities to save time and add a personal touch.
- Create/edit a default folder template. If you use a custom folder structure for your clients’ documents, it's a good idea to set that up on TaxDome before importing your clients. The Default Tax Year folder template that we automatically set at the beginning of your TaxDome journey is the best one for the Tax Preparers. Some firms add some extra subfolders, specifically one for the Permanent files.
So, your default folder template for storing clients' documents might look like this: