updated 8 days ago
Our Contacts feature lets you add the names, telephone numbers, and email and street addresses of people as well as companies—and you can include notes about each contact and use tags to categorize them.
But it isn’t just for listing current clients. You can also use it to store the contact information of coworkers, prospective clients, partners, clients’ family members, and so on. In essence, you make it yours, so that it’s tailored to your needs.
- Adding Contacts
- Importing Contacts
- Contact List
- Merging Duplicate Contacts
- Creating an Account From a Contact
- Linking Contacts to Accounts
- Editing a Contact
- Deleting a Contact
- Custom CRM Fields
Adding a Contact
New contacts can be added either by a firm owner or any team member who has been given access rights to Manage contacts.
Whenever you create a new account on TaxDome, you’ll need to add a contact for it: You do this by clicking the + New contact button in the Create client account window.
But you can also include people or companies that aren’t clients in your contacts. Here’s how:
1. Click on the + NEW button in the left sidebar, then select Contact from the pull-down menu.
2. Enter the person’s first, middle, and last name, as well as their other details. You can add custom CRM fields if you need to.
3. Add notes to describe the new contact (e.g., the person’s job title or the name of their spouse).
4. Assign tags to help categorize your contacts.
5. Then click CREATE.
Note: You can return at any time to edit or remove a contact..
You can import your contacts either in CSV (recommended option) or vCard format. See Importing Multiple Client Accounts and Contacts to TaxDome to find out how to do a CSV import with mapping. See below if you’d like to do a vCard import.
In order to import your contacts from an email application to TaxDome, you will first need to export them, which means downloading them as a file to your desktop. The file will need to be a .vcf (the standard vCard format). Once you’ve completed that step, you will be able to import—that is, upload—your contacts to TaxDome. If you have custom fields in your contacts, they will be replicated on TaxDome.
Worry not! We break it down below. First you export (download), then you import (upload).... And if you run into any snags, you can always reach out to the TaxDome team.
Exporting a Contacts List From an Email Application
Contact exporting options are available from all email applications, such as Apple, Gmail, and Outlook.
Here’s how to export, depending on your email application:
Exporting an Apple Contacts List
In the Contacts application on your Mac, go to File, Export, then select Export vCard. You can also choose Edit, and then Select All to select all cards for export. The contacts are exported as a vCard file (.vcf) onto your desktop.
Exporting a Gmail Contacts List
Go to Gmail, click on the Google apps icon in the upper right-hand corner, then click Contacts. In Google Contacts, click Export in the left sidebar (the Main menu), select vCard in the pop-up, then click Export. The contacts are then exported as a vCard file (.vcf) onto your desktop.
Exporting an Outlook Contacts List
Outlook doesn’t support the vCard format, which is what you will need to import your contacts list to TaxDome.
However, you can follow this three-step workaround to get your Outlook contacts list into the necessary .vcf file to import to TaxDome:
1. Export your contacts to a .csv. file: Go to File, then to Open & Export and select Import/Export. Choose the Export to a file option from the list, select Comma Separated Values, then follow the wizard to download a .csv file to your desktop.
2. Open your .csv file in Excel to make sure that contacts have standard field names, such as Name and Email Address. Rename if needed.
3. Import your .csv file to Gmail: Go to Gmail, click on the Google apps icon in the upper right-hand corner, then click Contacts. Once you are in your Google Contacts, click Import in the left sidebar (the Main menu), locate the .csv file on your desktop, then click Import.The contacts will be imported to Gmail with a data label.
4. Export your contacts from Gmail to a .vcf file: Click Export in the left sidebar of your Google Contacts, select your recently imported contacts, choose the Export as vCard option, then click Export. You will now have a vCard file (.vcf) of your Outlook contacts on your desktop.
Importing a Contacts List to TaxDome
Once you’ve exported your contacts list from your email application (downloaded it as a .vcf file to your desktop), you are ready to start importing it to TaxDome.
On TaxDome, go to the Contacts tab in the Clients section, click on the IMPORT VCARD button, locate the .vcf file on your desktop, then select it. Depending on the number of contacts, the import process may take a while. When you’re done, you’ll get a notification with the import results.
A contact is skipped if TaxDome can’t interpret something in one of the fields of the contact record.
Merging Duplicate Contacts
Contacts are considered duplicates when emails, phone numbers, or contact names match and there are no conflicting fields among them. If you end up with duplicate listings, you can merge contacts either automatically or manually. If you merge two or more contacts that are linked to different accounts, the resulting contact will still be linked to those accounts.
How to Merge Duplicate Contacts Automatically
To merge them all at once automatically:
Go to your Clients section, open the Contacts tab, then click the MERGE DUPLICATES button. The MERGE DUPLICATES button will be displayed only if TaxDome has found duplicate listings (your contacts are scanned for duplicates daily).
To merge them one by one automatically:
1. Go to Clients, open the Contacts tab, then click on a contact’s name in the list. If TaxDome found duplicate listings for a contact, a Duplicates section will be displayed on the right.
2. Click the bracket-arrow icon to the right of the duplicate’s name to merge it. All fields from a duplicate listing are copied to the main contact, and the extra one is deleted.
When merging automatically, duplicates shouldn’t have conflicting fields or you’ll lose data.
How to Merge Duplicate Contacts Manually
If your contacts have conflicting fields but you still consider them duplicates, you can merge them manually. Note:
- If one or more of the duplicates’ matching fields contains information, you’ll be able to select it for the resulting contact.
- If the duplicates’ matching fields contain different information, you’ll be able to select the info you want for the resulting contact. For example, you have three contacts for one person; the first has Mike, the second Michael, and the third M. listed in the First Name field. You’ll be able to select the first name you want for the resulting merged contact. Once you choose one and save it, the others are deleted.
- If any of the contacts are linked to one or more client accounts, the resulting contact will still be linked to them.
- Once contacts have been merged, they cannot be unmerged. However, you can always create a new contact.
To merge contacts manually:
1. Go to Clients, open the Contacts tab, then select the checkboxes to the left of the contacts you want to merge.
2. Click on the MANAGE SELECTED button.
3. You’ll see the various fields for the person’s contact information. Carefully review each field by clicking on it and selecting the information you want to keep.
4. Then click SAVE.
The entire list of contacts is available to both a firm owner and any team member who has been given access rights to View all contacts. Otherwise, team members can view only the contacts linked to their assigned accounts.
To see your contacts on TaxDome, go to Clients and open the Contacts tab. Here, you can view the names, email addresses, phone numbers, company names, and assigned tags of all your contacts.
To search for a contact, type a name, phone number, or email address in the Search field at the top of the window, then press Enter on your keyboard. The contacts list will then be narrowed accordingly. Click on the cross icon in the Search field to clear it.
Sometimes it’s easier to sort a list of contacts rather than use filters for a search. You can also use the sorting option while doing a search. Click on the up-down arrow to the right of the desired row to sort the list below it. You can sort by name, email address, or phone number.
You can also filter a contact list by using tags. Click on any tag to see all contacts with that tag. For more on tags, go here.
Creating an Account From a Contact
Any contact can be turned into a client account by creating a profile for that contact. For more details on turning a contact into a client account, go to Adding a User: Allowing a User Access to a Client Account Profile.
Linking Contacts to Accounts
Though linking contacts to accounts is optional, it’s recommended. A client can’t access their client portal unless they have a contact with at least one email in it linked to their account.
Once an account is linked to a contact, you can invite them to use their TaxDome portal.
You can always see what accounts are linked to a contact by navigating to the contact’s info page (see Editing a Contact below)
Editing a Contact
To make changes to a contact’s details, go to Clients, open the Contacts tab, click on the name of the contact in the list, edit their data, then click SAVE.
You can also get via Clients, opening the Info tab of the client’s account profile, then clicking on the contact’s link in the Contacts section.
Deleting a Contact
To remove a contact, follow these steps:
Click on the red trash bin icon to the right of the contact’s name, then confirm by clicking the DELETE button.