Managing Multiple Logins & Profile Access
updated 29 days ago
Some of your accounts will need to be managed by more than one person on the client end.
For instance, if a client runs a company, several employees might need to have access to the account. Or if your client is an individual, they may want their spouse to also have access. Or one person might use various accounts (e.g., a company account and a personal account).
For this reason, TaxDome has a multiple-login feature to offer maximum flexibility...
...Which also comes in handy when a client communicates with you via various email accounts or changes their email address altogether.
- Giving an Additional User Access to an Account
- The EMAIL SYNC Toggle, Explained
- The NOTIFY Toggle, Explained
- The LOGIN Toggle, Explained
- Removing a User’s Access to a Client Account
- Changing a Client’s Email Address
- Unlinked Email Addresses, Explained
- Switching Between Client Accounts
Giving an Additional User Access to an Account
A firm owner and any team member who has been given access rights to Manage accounts can add additional users to a client account profile.
In the client account profile, open the Info tab, then review the Contacts section. Here you can see all the email addresses of contacts linked to the account. If you want to add portal access to an email address that is not listed here, you have two options: Add another linked contact or add an additional email address to the contact that is already linked.
Here are the steps:
- Create custom CRM email fields to store additional email addresses for a contact.
- Update an existing contact to include an additional email address.
- Turn on the LOGIN toggle to the right of the email address you want to give portal access to.
- To add a custom message to the invite to portal access, type in the Personalized message field in the pop-up, then click SEND.
- You can also turn on the NOTIFY and EMAIL SYNC toggles (see below).
Once you’ve added portal access to the email address of a user, TaxDome sends them an activation request by email. In order to activate the account, the person will need to accept the request and create a password. The new user will be automatically linked to the account. Now two users will have separate login credentials for the same account.
The EMAIL SYNC Toggle, Explained
When you add an email address to an account, you can turn on the EMAIL SYNC toggle.
What this does:
- You will see all the messages received from that email address in the Inbox+ section and in the Email tab of that client account.
- If the EMAIL SYNC toggle is enabled for the main email address, all files attached to messages from additional email addresses will also be saved to the Client’s Docs section of that client account.
By default, emails and attachments from the account’s additional email addresses are not collected in the primary client account. If you think you will receive important messages and documents from an additional email address linked to the account, turn on the EMAIL SYNC toggle while adding the email address to the account—or you can do this at any time.
The NOTIFY Toggle, Explained
When you add an email address to an account, you can turn on the NOTIFY toggle.
What this does:
The user at this address will receive...
- all notifications (e.g., about new messages, bills, organizers to complete, etc.)
- all emails sent to the account from TaxDome
- all bulk emails sent to the account from TaxDome
- all emails sent to the account via pipeline automation
By default, notifications go only to the primary client account’s email address. If you think an additional user should also receive all notifications and emails sent through TaxDome, turn on the NOTIFY toggle while adding a new email address to the client account—or you can do this at any time.
Removing a User’s Access to a Client Account
If someone no longer needs to have access to a client account, you can remove them. To do this, go to the Info tab of the client account and turn off the LOGIN toggle to the right of the email address you want to remove portal access to.
The client account will remain intact; however, that user will no longer be able to access it.
Changing a Client’s Email Address
If a client’s email address has changed, add their new email address as if they were an additional user; however, make sure not to immediately remove the previous one. Instead, follow these steps:
1. Update the client’s contact to include the new email address.
2. Add their new email address as described in Giving an Additional User Access to an Account above.
3. Wait for the client to accept the invitation sent to the new email address so that they don’t lose access to their account. Once the client has accepted the invite, you can delete their previous email address as described in Removing a User’s Access to a Client Account above.
Unlinked Email Adresses, Explained
With some of your accounts, you may notice an Unlinked Emails section beneath the Contacts section. Here, you’ll see email addresses that are currently being used to log in to the client portal but are not linked to a contact. This can happen, for example, when you give portal access to an email address and then delete it from a linked contact or an additional user is added by the client but not linked to a contact.
There are two ways to handle unlinked email addresses:
- If the client is no longer using the email address, you can turn off the LOGIN toggle to its right. The email address will then disappear from the list.
- If the email address is still relevant, you can link it to its existing contact:
1. Click the three-dots icon to the right of the email address, then select Link email with contact.
2. Start typing the contact’s name, then select the appropriate contact from the list.
3. Select the email field for the email address, then click on the LINK button.
Switching Between Client Accounts
Users who have access to various client accounts can easily switch between them. To do so, click on the Switch account link at the bottom of the left sidebar, then select the desired account in the pop-up. During a session, you can switch between client accounts as many times as you want.