Internal Only Source Files (Not Visible to Clients)
By Mary Cooper
updated 10 days ago
To stay organized, you might choose to store client-specific tax program files or proprietary spreadsheets, such as Proseries or Lacerte files, inside a person’s or organization’s profile, where you can see the documents but they can’t. There is a special location for this, which can be found under your Docs tab inside the Source Files subtab.
Files placed here will be visible only to you and to any other team members assigned to them. (For more information on how to set up team permissions and access rights, go here.)
There are three ways to upload internal files:
- By clicking +New button in the left sidebar.
- By going to any tab in the Clients section.
- By using the TaxDome Windows app.
Click the +NEW button on your sidebar, go to Document, then select the client. A pop-up window will appear with a list of your five most recent clients. If the client you are looking for is not there, type their name, ID, or email into the search field, then select the person or organization. You can always switch to another client’s name in the document uploading window if needed.
Note: If you’ve accessed the +NEW button from a particular client’s profile, you can always choose another client’s name after selecting the file you are uploading.
Click the UPLOAD DOCUMENTS button and locate the file you want to upload. With all file types, the maximum size you can upload is 100 Mb. You can check the permitted file types here.
If you prefer a drag-and-drop method, here’s another way you can upload a document: Start by clicking on Clients in your sidebar, then select the client’s name. Open the Client Uploaded/We Prepared/Source Files subtab, and then drag-and-drop the file into the Drag & Drop upload field.
2. To make the file visible only to you and/or a team member assigned to it, click on Internal only file in the Destination window.
3. Select the appropriate tax year for the document (Note: It will be set to the previous year by default.) Click on the year to select another. If you don't see a particular year in the list, it means the client has not yet submitted documents for that specific year. You can add the year by clicking the Add Year link. Select the Unsorted option if you want to sort the documents afterward.
4. Edit the file name (optional) and add a text description of up to 150 characters (also optional) to give the client an idea the document's content.
5. Select the folder you want to upload the document to or create a new folder. If no folder is selected, the document will automatically be saved to the main folder.
6. Click UPLOAD to add the document to the folder. The file will be visible under the Source Files subtab.