Here’s what you can find out about client's documents here:
- Client Uploaded Docs Overview
- Previewing Documents
- Viewing Documents History (File Audit Trail)
- Downloading Documents
- Editing Documents
- Searching for Documents
- Filtering Documents
- Sorting Lists of Documents
- Sorting Documents by Folders
Client Uploaded Docs Overview
All files uploaded by clients (or uploaded by firm members on behalf of a client) are stored in the Docs > Client Uploaded subtab of the client's profile.
The following information for each document can be found here:
- Name - The document’s title. An icon showing the document’s file type will appear next to the title.
- Date uploaded - The date that the document was uploaded. Documents are grouped by year.
- Description - The description is optional. It may be added by the client when they are uploading the file.
You can easily preview files that have been uploaded by clients by using the built-in document viewer. Simply click on the document’s name or on the eye icon to open the viewer.
While previewing the file you may download it, move to another folder, or view document history.
Click Close to return to the list of files.
Viewing Documents History (File Audit Trail)
You can always see the events that have taken place with client uploaded files. Audit log makes it easy to find out when the user has uploaded, viewed, downloaded, or renamed a document.
To access a document’s history, click on the ellipsis icon, then click Audit Trail.
You can also access the Audit Trail link from the document viewer.
The following info is available here:
- ACCOUNT NAME. The organization name (for non-personal accounts).
- USER. The first name, last name, and email of any user that has accessed the file.
- EVENT. The event that took place with a file.
- SERVER TIME. The system time that the event took place. The time is shown in UTC.
- CLIENT TIME. The user’s time that the event took place. Time difference between UTC and user's location is displayed for your convenience.
- IP ADDRESS. The IP address of the user who accessed the file. You can also see user's city and country here.
- BROWSER. The Browser in which the event took place.
You can also download the files that have been uploaded by clients.
- To download a file to your computer or device, click the download icon.
You can also access the download link from the document viewer.
2. If prompted, choose where you would like to save the file, then click Save.
3. When the download finishes, you will usually see it appear at the bottom of your browser window. Click on the file name to open the downloaded document (please see How to specify where files are downloaded).
To make any changes to the document, click on the ellipsis icon, then click Edit.
You may change the file name, description, or tax year.
Searching for Documents
To search for a document, type all or part of the document’s title into the Search field, then click Enter.
The document list will be narrowed in accordance with the specified parameters.
Note that you can also search for documents from the Sidebar. This is useful when you're not in the client profile. Sidebar search will work anywhere in the system. Therefore, you can quickly find documents from any client.
Filters are useful when you only need to see documents that meet specific criteria. For example, filtering would allow you to quickly find all of the Excel files that were uploaded in 2017.
To filter your list of documents:
- Click the Filter button
2. Filter the documents by Year Uploaded or File Type. You can choose to apply several filters or only one filter depending on what you wish to search for.
3. Click Apply filter.
The list of documents will be narrowed in accordance with the specified parameters.
Sorting Lists of Documents
Sometimes, it can be useful to sort a list of documents rather than using filters. The sorting option can also be used in conjunction with the search and filter functions.
You can sort a list of documents by document name or by date uploaded. Click on the arrow icon next to the Name or Date Uploaded headings to sort the list.